HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which is best... can't decide.

I realise that this is a tiny portion of a 4000 word short story, but I am hoping it will be enough so you will get what I am trying to ask. This is the very end of the story, and I can't decide whether to leave the last word in or take it out. I am leaning very heavily towards taking it out.

Some background. The story is entitled "Innocence" (mostly about the premature losing of it) and throughout the story, I use the word "innocent" or "innocence" 9 times. More so towards the end.

And after this last section, I am thinking I don't need it. It should be implied by this point (I believe it is) and I am thinking the reader will say "Okay, you don't have to assume I'm stupid!"

Your thoughts would be very welcome. Here is the end.

“Thank you.” He leaned forward and touched her hand, so glad she was here, and a vivid memory came to his mind. From a time before everything, before the straps and belt buckles, before it all fell apart.

The memory was of them as very small children, running into the sea, laughing. Way back when they had the thing that his father had stolen from them all.

Innocence.

If you use as often as you say, then I would leave it out. It would have made an impact at the end, if it wasn't used before that.

Thanks for replying Lea

Yeah, this is what I am thinking. By the time you get to the end, that word is already in your head - it's kind of the rhythm of the story up until then. Not overly used, but I think it would be in your mind.

Thanks for your input. It will be interesting to see if I get any other replies.

Less is more. I would leave it out. Every time you throw the word in after a defining moment, you are pounding the reader over the head, telling the reader: "If you didn't understand the metaphor, this is what it means."

In fact, let's look at your example for a moment:

“Thank you.” He leaned forward and touched her hand, so glad she was here, and a vivid memory came to his mind. From a time before everything, before the straps and belt buckles, before it all fell apart.

The memory was of them as very small children, running into the sea, laughing. Way back when they had the thing that his father had stolen from them all.

Innocence.

Much of this is "telling" rather than showing. If you are less direct, it could be more effective:

"Thank you." He leaned forward and touched her hand, so glad she was here. That simple act jarred him, taking him back to a memory of them as very small children, running into the sea, laughing. There were no belt buckles then, no straps across the back, just laughter.

I guess what I'm suggesting here is that you tighten this so that the reference to the memory is closely connected to the trigger. Right now, they feel separated. And I would leave "before it all fell apart" out because that is implied in context.

Just my thoughts...

Jeanne

... and your thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you, Jeanne

Innocence

Quote Originally Posted by Debbi V View Post
    I realise that this is a tiny portion of a 4000 word short story, but I am hoping it will be enough so you will get what I am trying to ask. This is the very end of the story, and I can't decide whether to leave the last word in or take it out. I am leaning very heavily towards taking it out.

Some background. The story is entitled "Innocence" (mostly about the premature losing of it) and throughout the story, I use the word "innocent" or "innocence" 9 times. More so towards the end.

And after this last section, I am thinking I don't need it. It should be implied by this point (I believe it is) and I am thinking the reader will say "Okay, you don't have to assume I'm stupid!"

Innocence.

I would say you do not need the last word. But I might change "thing" to "quality" or another synonum or even "still possessed what his father had stolen.
    Last edited by BookWerm; 08-25-2012 at 02:52 AM.

it sounds redundant by then so remove it, Debbi

Laura Lippman

Quote Originally Posted by Debbi V View Post

Innocence.
    Debbi--have you ever read her? I think it's her book THE LAST PLACE...ends too similarly for comfort.

I think "Way back when they still possessed what his father stole from them all." beats "Way back when they had the thing that his father had stolen from them all." by about a ton.

Just outside the little village of Milan in the high plains of New Mexico.
    'Way back before the man had taken away the perfect smiling time that is youth.'