HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Any cleverly funny thinkers/writers?

I am currently working on a Dramedy and and am stuck with the introduction of a character. If there's anyone who can help me think of an introduction for a semi-clumsy independent female character please make yourself known. This is how some of the other character are introduced:

EMILY: (this is narrated by a dead person via "V.O.") The first of my friends to learn news of my death was Emily Cornell. When she was just a little girl, she had dreamed of becoming an older sibling. Then, when she was eight years old her dream came true. Just two years later her dream came true again...(a few years later we see Emily near another baby) and again (and we then see that there are twin babies) and Again. Pretty soon Emily's dream turned into a never ending nightmare that consequently caused her grades to slip.

It isn't necessarily laugh out loud comedy, but irony. So, anyone with any ability to write like this please make yourselve's known! It'll mean the world to me!

Hi Greg, I don't have an ironic entrance for your character, but is it really necessary to state at the beginning that the nightmare caused her grades to slip. What does that last part do to push the story along? Can it just be stated that her dream turned into a nightmare, once again proving that you should watch what you wish for.

Lea,
    Come to think about it you're right about that. Thanks for mentioning that! I think it will flow easier if I leave out the grades part and just illustrate her declining grades later on like i planned. Thanks for the input on that!

Anytime.

This is her defining characteristic - that she wanted to be an older sister? Does having a bunch of younger siblings play into her character or storyline? If not I'd choose a different intro. If the wanting to be an older sister is important, than I'd do more than just showing her next to different babies - I'd have visuals showing how these siblings have impacted her life i.e. she can't do what she wants to do because she has to do big sister things.

Wanting to be a big sister can definitely be a defining characteristic. Much better than saying her grades dropped. That's something which can be worked into the story.