HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cryptozoica

Cryptozoica

In the summer of 2010, fed up with the fear and utter idiocy of "trade" publishing which had reigned since Black Wednesday of 2008, we self-published Cryptozoica.

The TPB sold pretty well, so a little over a year later, we came out with the ebook.

It did steady "I can live with that" level sales up until the last couple of months--when the sales suddenly skyrocketed...and they've pretty much maintained a high peak.

I'm not sure why, but I'm not about to look a gift carnotaur in the mouth.

At any rate, because the ebook sales have taken off, we (meaning my wife Melissa and I) finally decided to make a book trailer. Kind of a reversal of the usual procedure, but I've been busy.

Still, the trailer makes me even want to read the book...and I know what happens at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTQomVVl_c

And here is the link to the ebook version... the price is still right.

http://www.amazon.com/Cryptozoica-eb...rhf_dp_p_t_1ot

And if you prefer an autographed copy of the TPB...you can always go here:

http://www.Cryptozoica.com

That's so fantastic for you, Mark! Way to go!

Thanks, Lea!

Wow, this place sure has changed since I was last here...so far, the changes look to be for the better.

It really has, and it's so nice to come here and not stress about what others are going to say to you. It got really nasty for a while and the owners did a little housecleaning. Now it's about the writing, and that's wonderful.

I read the prologue, not bad. Decent writing. I wanna know what's gonna happen, and I'll probably read the rest of the sample, but...

There's no dragon in the book of Daniel. However, there are two dinosaurs described in the book of Job called Leviathan and Behemoth. I know of no biblical story of a man killing a dragon. Giants, yes, dragons, no. I guess if you're trying to show Belleau's ignorance, it kinda works maybe, but wouldn't Darwin, a student of scripture, say something like, "Daniel killing a dragon? What are you talking about?" That would work a little better.

Other than that, there were just small things that pecked at me that most likely won't bother the average reader at all. Thought it was not bad so far.

I did find Belleau's arguments fairly unbelievable. I don't think there's a scientist past, present, or future who wouldn't LOVE to be the discoverer of this island and be famous for it. Belleau's speeches sound more like political diatribes you hear from an evolutionist of today. However, it's one of those things where you're willing to suspend your disbelief for the sake of the story.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 08-20-2012 at 11:17 AM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bel_and_the_Dragon

There's more at work with Belleau than he lets on to Darwin...same as with his great-grandson later in the book.

Okay, just read Chapter 1. Again, not bad. Good, clear writing. Couple things though. Kavanaugh kicks the corpse into the water and it sinks? Not happening. It would float. Also, Mouzi has the Papuan's blood on the front of her shirt, but she says she snuck up and slit his throat from behind. How'd she get blood on her shirt if she slit him from behind? Other than that, nothing much bothered me. Pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ellis View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bel_and_the_Dragon

There's more at work with Belleau than he lets on to Darwin...same as with his great-grandson later in the book.
    Ooooh, the septuagint! Well, not too many scholars, let alone believers, put much credibility in that translation. By all accounts, it's an awful translation, isn't it? They changed all sorts of things willy-nilly, didn't they? Anyway, that is not part of the Bible, for just that reason. I don't know of any mainline Christian religion that subscribes to that story as factual. Unless, I don't know...do the Catholics?

Yeah, I figured that with Belleau...that's why I'm willing to suspend my disbelief with him. I wanna hear the story.

Thanks!

Actually, bodies sink when the lungs and stomach fill up with water. Once the stomach acids mix and begin to decompose it creates a gas that fills the stomach & lungs up like a balloon then the body will float to the surface...which happens to the body of the dead Papuan a few chapters later.

As for how Mouzi got the guys blood on her...she probably wiped her hands on her shirt. She doesn't give a damn. She confesses to his murder pretty glibly.

I've been doing this for a long time...after all those Outlanders, Executioner and Deathlands books I've written, I rarely make mistakes about corpses and guns and wounds and so forth.

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing...

Well, it's not sinking instantly though, right? I imagine it takes time for the body to fill with water, since he's not breathing it in.

Yeah, I see here it's in the Catholic Bible, so that ices that one.

Hey, it's a GOOD thing from a writing perspective.