HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Multicultural Market

Hello All,

I recently recieved one of the best and detailed rejection letters from an agent who (apparently) loved my middle grade fantasy manuscript but "can't envision how to sell the project successfully to a general trade publisher" and kept my MS for over eight months "with the hope that, if I wait long enough, the market will change."

The underlying issue is that my main character is biracial and the novel begins in the Philippines, a country not many Middle Grade and YA readers apparently know about. To top it off, the story is loosley based on South East Asian mythos. That said, my novel is aimed at readers of Rick Riordan, Catherine Fisher and JK Rowling whose books are primarily set in North America orEurope (with an emphasis on European folklore).

While I've pondered changing my character's race (to European, despite reservations from beta readers), its just doesnt feel right having my 11-year-old MC grow up in a country/culture far removed from my own childhood.

I'm basically seeking advice if I SHOULD make my main character English even though I've never been to England. Or Canadian. Or if I should just be vigilant in finiding an agent who represent multicultural fantasy.

Any comments or criticisms are welcome

Lyle, I would look for another agent. Don't change your character. Multicultural/biracial books are very popular nowadays.

I agree with Lea. Plus, you always end up with a much better product writing what you know than writing what you don't know.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 08-03-2012 at 12:20 PM.

I agree as well. We've already read a lot about English wizards. Find a new agent. If one kept it for 8 months, someone else is going to want it.

And don't let another agent keep it for that long without stipulating that after 6 wks or two months or whatever time limit you're comfortable with, you will be sending it out to other agents. I personally would not agree to an exclusive like that unless it was on of my top ten dream agents. Keeping it for 8 months kept you from finding someone who did like it.