HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aspiring editor needed. This is deferred pay opportunity

I have a traditional publishing house that is willing to consider publication of my book. But they have made suggestions that I need to implore. The problem is that I am busy with acting / screenwriting at the moment and would like to give someone with good writing / editing skills the opportunity to possibly get a foot in the door. This opportunity is not for some self publishing company but rather a legit publishing house. And we all know just how hard it is to get published by a traditional publishing company. I can provide a copy of the book as well as detailed suggestions from the publisher. I would be willing to give the editor 10 percent of profits if the book is published. The genre of the book is mystery / adventure and is geared towards middle school readers. If you think that you are an accomplished writer and can help me with this, shoot me an email davidford75 at g mail dot com (email encrypted for spam reasons). I could do this myself but as I said, I am very busy with accomplishing my dreams in the film industry. Thanks.

David Ford

David, I do editing. However, the deferred pay option you are proposing would not be of interest to about 99.9% of editors. I do the work, which usually takes quite a bit of time and knowledge, and then I expect to be paid for that service when completed. Successful editing is not measured by whether you get a contract with publisher.
    Last edited by Lea Zalas; 08-01-2012 at 04:01 PM.

This is more of an opportunity for someone who has vision that wants to get a foot in the door. I am not just proposing deferred pay but ten percent of profits from the sales of a book that could possibly be a best seller among youth like R. L Stine or the Harry Potter books. It may not do anything but then again, if it is a best seller then the person who takes a chance on my project will be glad he/she did. Dream big my friend. This is more of an opportunity for a writer than editor I suppose. The book is written. Just needs a little touch up. I could probably do this myself but I just got through directing a movie and very busy with all that happens in editing and stuff.

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    This sounds like a complete boatload of steaming bull5hit. Traditional publishing houses don't work like this, established editors don't work like this, and the content of your last post is so preposterous that I can't imagine a serious writer or editor taking you seriously. This at best is a borderline scam.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

I suggest you do it yourself. It's not about dreaming big, it's about getting paid for services rendered.

Guys some of you are making this way too difficult. I simply posted an opportunity for somone who wants to help me publish a book, as a co-writer or editor or whatever. I am not a novelist although I do have a book that has attracted a real publishing company, not some self-publishing company. If being an author was my dream and I was looking for an opportunity, well this would be it. But I am chasing another dream and have no time for editing. I have the manuscript and suggestions from an editor from the publishing company who made some suggestions that need to be made. If anyone is intersted let me know. Some guy named Kieth above referred to this as a scam.... How can this be a scam? I never said publishing companies work like this. This is me making this offer to a writer that is good, a writer who may not be published and is looking for an opportunity. I am busy with movie making. I just starred in and directed my first feature film so I am very busy with post production, editing, marketing. For anyone who wants to look at this possibility email me and we will see if it is a good fit....my email is listed in my first message on this thread...no need to reply because I will not re-visit this post. Thanks!

David, if you have a attracted a real publishing company, then they have editors on their staff and would use them. Normally, they don't like it if you say you have used an outside editor, because to them it means you don't know how to polish your own work. So I have to ask, "What's going on here?"

Keith....you're still around. However, in saying that, I don't come here as often as I used to.

D K

I agree with Lea. If a "real" publishing house wants your book then they will move hell and high water to get it edited and out there. This is MOST irregular.

INHO this is someone who is too lazy or can't be bothered to make his own work publishable, so he's coming up with a tall story about how HOT this work is and promises of 10%.

But it's laughable. Who on earth would swallow this?

*rolls eyes and shrugs* - "gimme strength"

LOL

Hi D K. Good to see you around again.