HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Reading Like a Writer

So, I was perusing the reference section of Amazon and came across a book entitled "How to Read Like a Writer," or something along those lines, by Francine Prose. And it got me thinking: how DO you read like a writer? Me, I have always read with the intention of being entertained and/or stimulated. And, certainly, in my years of reading I have come across winners and losers (re: my post on Ian McEwan's Atonement. I guess I'm just wondering if this book will be worth paying the price for it (I usually buy used with a little wear, thus keeping it under $10), or if some pointers from some of you might save me a little bit of dough. Haven't gotten an e-reader yet. Bucking the trend and sticking with the old printed page in the meantime.

This is an excellent book on craft. And yes, there is a difference between reading for pleasure and reading like a writer to understand the craft. When you read like a writer, you are analyzing the "how," breaking down the process: How does the writer use metaphor to create emotion? How does the writer change the length of sentences to speed up or slow down the pace? How does the writer use dialogue to develop character?

I use this book in my creative writing classes. It's a classic.

Jeanne

Thanks, Jeanne. I just thought I would get at least one opinion on the book before I hauled off and bought it.

Sounds interesting. I will have to pick up a copy.

Yesssss!! Got it ordered. Now gotta finish with The Kite Runner before it gets here. Just as a side note, Khaled Hosseini is a masterful storyteller! The Kite Runner is an awesome story. There are parts where I have been almost adamantly sitting there, shaking my head going, "No, no, no!!!" Just a really moving tale altogether. Definitely going to try to find A Thousand Splendid Suns. So happy I found this book at my local library's booksale for $.50.

Jennifer - At that price, who needs an e-reader?