HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Create Space Experiences Please

Hi
    I am wondering if anybody here has used Create Space and if so, what are your experiences? It all looks too easy and cheap so there must be a catch. Or do you have to spend a lot of money to do it right?

Sophie

I think you have to spend money, but not a lot.

I think if you have to spend money, you're doing it wrong.

I just published my first book, Modus Operandi: and other crime stores through create space. It didn't cost me a thing! although they definitely have higher quality services that do cost if you choose to go that route. But for no money on my part, I got a very nice cover and bound book. If you wish to take a look you can at: https://www.createspace.com/4042867 (You can purchase it from this page also) When you go with the no cost method, you are responsible for editing your own work. Then you upload your file, either a pdf, or rtf and I think doc. format. This is easier than it sounds. I am by no means a computer expert and it came pretty easily to me. They then have a online program where you can create your cover. You can use their artwork, which I did, or you can upload your own.
    Createspace is a print on demand co. meaning that they don't actually print the book until it is ordered( for free it is listed on amazon us, uk, and Europe. for 25$ you can get expanded distribution which puts it on the Ingrams and Baker and Taylor lists, opening it up for distribution on Barnes and Noble. com and others. I do suggest that you read up on expanded distribution before you do it as there are some fine print)
    You also will be talked through uploading your book for Kindle if you so desire(also free) You set your own price, the program tells you how much royalty you get for the price. My book costs $6.00 on amazon. I get $1.45 of it. Of course the higher your price the higher the royalty. You also get different royalty percentages for the expanded distribution. When you make up your price, there is a little bold info line that tells you the minimum price you can charge and createspace still make a profit above the printing costs. Like my book, with expanded distribution, the minimum I could charge was $5.38. I only charge $6.00 because my book is just a collection of three short crime stories. It is not a full novel. I charge $4.00 for the kindle version and that can be ordered through Amazon kindle store. Of course, I suggest that you buy a print copy of my book at: https://www.createspace.com/4042867 as a sample. That way you can see the print quality. I chose black and white print on cream paper, in a 6 by 9 standard book size.
    I ask that if you do buy a copy, if you could stop by my website and leave a positive review in the guestbook. My website is: www.sceneofthecrime.webs.com
    If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them just send me a personal message.
    Thanks, and Happy writing!
    Loretta Green
    www.sceneofthecrime.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    Hi
    I am wondering if anybody here has used Create Space and if so, what are your experiences? It all looks too easy and cheap so there must be a catch. Or do you have to spend a lot of money to do it right?

Sophie
    I don't think need to spend, friend introduced it to me and I find it easier. Amanda hocking said she did her first books by there too. Loretta, thank you. The only thing is, since i am not US citizen, it is difficult to set up the KDP payment so i'm stuck. Now i am approaching a writer's group that can make ebooks.

CreateSpace is a Dream!

I have also published a book on CreateSpace and am doing a 2nd one in the next month. I like it. I did all the work myself as well, and paid under 25.00 for the process. Of course then you have to pay for copies that you want for yourself. I'd love for anyone here to take a chance on The Dream Time The Account of a Ninth Grade Girl of the 60s by Debbie Bumstead, which can be found on CreateSpace or Amazon. On Amazon you can see the reviews people did of my book, mostly 5 stars. I haven't made much profit, but the book itself looks so pretty! My next is a novel The Destruction of Alice by Debbie Bumstead.

Thank you Sophie. 7 years ago I got a special offer (it's no longer free) to print my book, if I met an end-of-the-year deadline. I didn't get any advice, was in a rush, and even though today I'm glad for my 'mistake,' I titled my book, Craven Image billybonnyband.com. I think it works well today, having my website attached to the title, but in 2007 it was uncommon and even my parents were disappointed.
    Today, I've finally started trying to market my book, and social media charges so much to self-published writers (who are competing with people in all types of marketing schemes, from coffee cups to cupcakes for the same advertising space; and there are so many self-published books ...millions), that the true meaning of vanity publishing has come to fruition: People who know they will never be great, but are willing to lose a lot of money just to be published). Regretfully, billybonnyband.com

Quote Originally Posted by ilkar View Post
    I don't think need to spend, friend introduced it to me and I find it easier. Amanda hocking said she did her first books by there too. Loretta, thank you. The only thing is, since i am not US citizen, it is difficult to set up the KDP payment so i'm stuck. Now i am approaching a writer's group that can make ebooks.
    I am a Canadian and I didn't really have any trouble setting up the KDP payment settings....

I have also (obviously) published on createspace (Past Times:Ancient Board Games) I found the process really simple. The only cost I incurred was ordering the proof copy. The quality is excellent, and the process was easy. The cover probably could have been better, but it works. My second book is at an editor (a friend who is donating her time) and I plan on using createspace again, although I might attempt lightning press just for the ability to do hardcover as well.

The only hiccup I had was amazon didn't list my Kindle and print editions as the same book with just different formats at first, emailed support and they fixed it that day.... really excellent customer support response time.

I used CreateSpace for the first time this year. It was very easy. I did everything myself. The only cost I incurred was ordering a Proof Copy. The cost of the Proof Copy was the cost to make the book plus shipping. I highly recommend getting the Proof Copy.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Marburg759 View Post
    I used CreateSpace for the first time this year. It was very easy. I did everything myself. The only cost I incurred was ordering a Proof Copy. The cost of the Proof Copy was the cost to make the book plus shipping. I highly recommend getting the Proof Copy.
    You can download a PDF instead of a proof copy, though I like to get a copy to keep on my shelf.