HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stick with it!

Stick with it!

Writing is about words on paper, or is it?
    We sit alone, usually, sometimes lonely banging away at keys or scribbling furiously. Just another paragraph, then I will go to bed. Whoops! I thort I was in bed. Oh well, write some more.
    Save it. Damn, where did that go? That was good! Bugger, damn, whoops, 'sorry dear!'

I have 21 completed, ready for edit and publishing. Actually, that is not true. I have 20 completed, ready for edit and publishing. I now have one published. I can't say I am a professional writer yet, since they can't tell me if some mug has bought an electronic copy yet, but we live in hope.
    One supposes that I am now declaring my writing pseudonym, from this pseudonym. Oh, when will the lying be finished . . . ? Letterman!

So, if you are unpunished, as I was, keep going. Maybe not always doing what you are doing, take an extra chance here and there and then it will happen for you. "Take a walk on the wild side . . . " Lou Reed.

Worth a listen to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KaWSOlASWc

Just to prove it is there, Amazon, B&N etc have a wee look below.

http://bookstore.xlibris.com/Product...s-SPECIAL.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...all+us+SPECIAL

In 2-3 weeks I will get the first hard copy and then it is a read, AGAIN! to proof. When it is completed it is return for the first print run.
    The single MOST encouraging in this process was the very last thing they added to the cover art. "Volume 1". It seems the publisher does believe I have the other 20 in the can and does want to publish them as well. I am slightly embarrassed at the synopsis they published with the book so far, it contains the final double climax, I CERTAINLY don't want people to see that b4 they read the rest but, who knows, maybe that is what they do these days!

Whatever you are doing, make sure you enjoy it. If not, change it.
    Writers Write.
    I have always said that. There is no provision that anyone actually has to read it for you to be a writer.
    I am now punished, whether I will be a professional writer depends on some mug buying a copy. They can't tell me if someone has already done so in electronic form since April 23rd.
    I don't know that I really care now. <GRIN>

STICK WITH IT!!!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Herman Munster; 04-29-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: "Take a walk on the wild side . . . "

Herman. Congratulations!

But I'm having a hard time following. You published a book and put it up for sale [I]before[I] proofing it?

Poofing or Proofing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    Herman. Congratulations!

But I'm having a hard time following. You published a book and put it up for sale [I]before[I] proofing it?
    Nope!

I have proofed it too many times to like the story, the writing, the cunning twists altho the author still appeals to me.

IF they print the current interior, I HOPE that is error free. It is as close as it needs to be, I guess. But when they add everything else, including the back cover synopsis which I can't read as it is too small, there may be an error there, or on any of the other pages they add. Still, I would kick myself if there is a pair of blank pages in the middle somewhere that I should have seen and corrected, so I will read every word one more time, hate it and love it.

I hoped that you would pick up on the 'having to read it AGAIN" bit as having had to read every word several times already.

My key delight is the Volume 1. It is hard to detect in top left corner but it is there and it was put on very late in the process. I take that as an implication they accept or acknowledge that more will be published in the series and it is hard to see them doing it altruistically, they anticipate they will publish book 2.

The cover is an interesting anecdote too.
    I sent them a specific concept. Blood Red top 2/3 and black bottom 1/3. The man head and shoulders, just, possibly peering along a bloody long barrel. Oh yeah, with bi-pod legs on its very end. I know that is not how a fifty looks but my art skills are negligible at best. They sent me back a horror of an offer. They got a three word reply.
    I HATE IT!
    So I resent the original idea.
    THEN they sent me this cover. I sent back one word.
    MAGIC!

I do like it and I hope it coveys, with the SPECIAL words that this is a sniper team and they are spec ops. That is what it is trying to suggest, from my POV.

I am considering retaining the 2/3-1/3 concept and have book 4, a short, cover ready already with that format. I haven't thort of two or three yet, but three just popped into my head now. I believe that is now settled.
    Priority One maybe a little harder. Still, they aren't even talking about that yet, we are still talking marketing copy, where, when how etc. Plus the hard copy proof 2-3 weeks, and then first print 2-3 weeks after I return the proof.

Thank you Tinman. I appreciate the grats. I know that published is not sold, let alone acclaimed, but if we have no hope, we have no reason to live!

Congratulations, Herman. That's pretty cool.

Herman. Yeah, I think after writers read and edit their stories for the hundredth time, most are sick of them lol. Good Luck!!!

I agree, Tinman. It's a shame when you consider how enthusiastic we are about our stories right after we've written them. Then reality sets in with the endless edits, and search for a publisher. The publishing process is so slow, that by the time our book is finally published, we've written another meantime, and the connection to the original story has been lost. If you self-publish though, you can control the time-line and get your book published before the ennui sets in. That's what I plan to do with my current WIP.
    One step at a time.

Congratulations on your book, Herman. The cover is terrific.
    One step at a time.