HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spam books

John -if most people weren't easily confused, companies wouldn't spend so much defending infringement against their brand names.

I don't think most people mistake her book for the Dragon book, but it's likely that people assume it's officially associated with it. She is clearly barnacle-riding on that brand.

Do you think she really has 10,000 books e-published? That's a heckuva lotta barnacle-riding. Seems with that kinda magnitude, SOMEONE would be squinting at her pretty closely. Is this such a new phenomenon that there is NO law about it?
    Last edited by John Oberon; 04-27-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Maybe her barnacles are spread out over 10,000 books. lol. I don't know. But also, maybe now that this phenomenon is growing legs and getting publicity, it will be looked at. There's a company called "Boundless Learning" whose business model appears to be ripping off established textbooks. Of course, they don't see it that way and have a bunch of excuses of how paraphrasing a text sentence by sentence is not really ripping it off. I'm sure the Dragon Lady has similar excuses. Boundless is being sued by the publishers it's ripping off. I'm curious to see how that ends.
    Last edited by L C; 04-27-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Huh. You'd think normal copyright laws would cover this. I don't see how a different medium changes anything. It is murky though. She's not plagiarizing or paraphrasing anything. She's just titling the book something that will gaurantee a high probability of confusion. She probably gave the same book 10,000 titles. It sure seems like there would be SOMETHING in the law.

It sounds as if this is one of those border line things that are immoral but not quite illegal. The 10,000 titles boggles the mind.
    One step at a time.