HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spam books

Spam books

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/...f-bestsellers/

No surprise that all this self-publishing has led to book knockoffs, and double no surprise that Amazon aids and abets it.

Let the buyer beware, I guess.

I disagree. I don't feel that I should have to be on high alert for imposters, spam and trash when shopping in a reputable store, whether that store is online or off. I think the store should vet its contents. Otherwise, why should I trust it more than any disreputable website?

Interesting article, I had no idea this was going on. It just means we'll have to be extra careful when choosing a book on Amazon.
    One step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by L C View Post
    I disagree. I don't feel that I should have to be on high alert for imposters, spam and trash when shopping in a reputable store, whether that store is online or off. I think the store should vet its contents. Otherwise, why should I trust it more than any disreputable website?
    I don't think your feelings have much to do with it.

Of course, if I were a bookseller, I'd want to foster the best reputation possible, but apparently, Amazon makes money with the shysters and doesn't mind too much, so I think we better watch out for imposters, spam, and trash. What other option is there? It doesn't strike me as anything surprising or out of the ordinary.

My feelings have everything to do with it. They drive where I shop. Amazon isn't the only place to shop. At least so far. Anyhow, this post wasn't so much about Amazon as it is about all the "great" self-published works out there, which the authors all think are undiscovered gems that the big, bad publishers are locking out.

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    I am surprised (a little) that amazon would allow these books to be sold, but at least they are takin them down once a problem is reported. Amazon already has bad name, they're only there to make money. A consumer does need to look out though, just like when people try to sell a bootleg movie. Nowadays it's easy to spot, but not when they were first making copies.. Well, kinda. If paper books were easier and cheaper to print, people would have been doing this a long time ago.
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by L C View Post
    My feelings have everything to do with it. They drive where I shop. Amazon isn't the only place to shop. At least so far. Anyhow, this post wasn't so much about Amazon as it is about all the "great" self-published works out there, which the authors all think are undiscovered gems that the big, bad publishers are locking out.
    No, your feelings won't influence Amazon in any way. They'll influence YOU, but not Amazon. I agree wholeheartedly about the "undiscovered gems", lol.

Do you really believe that woman has self-published 10,000 books? Sheesh.

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Do you really believe that woman has self-published 10,000 books? Sheesh.
    Sure I believe it! Just as much as believe her book titled I am the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was a coincidence.
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

So what...this woman just puts crap books up in the hope that people will mistakenly buy her book instead of the one they wanted? I can't believe that many people would mistake her book for the real mccoy to make it a lucrative practice.