HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Who is your favourite author?

Do you have a favourite author that inspired you to write? I have several, and I'd say my writing has been influenced by them all.
    One step at a time.

Since you asked the question, are you not gonna tell us who those authors are? :-)

For me, if I was being honest, I'd have to say Enid Blyton and Monica Dickens inspired me to write because I've been writing since I was a child and they were my first loves.

As an adult, Stephen King is my hero, and more recently, Joseph O'Connor, Roddy Doyle and Neil Jordan.

For fun, at the beach, I read Sophie Kinsella.

Debbi

Quote Originally Posted by Debbi V View Post
    Since you asked the question, are you not gonna tell us who those authors are? :-)

Debbi
    Hey, good point! :-) I actually have so many that I like, I'm such an avid reader. I used to love the Enid Blyton stories when I was a kid. Have you read her series about The Famous Five? I'm also a fan of Stephen King. I particularly liked The Green Mile, and The Shining. But the authors that actually influenced me the most were H.G. Wells, George Orwell and Graham Greene.
    One step at a time.

C.S. Lewis with Mark Twain a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    C.S. Lewis with Mark Twain a close second.
    I love C.S. Lewis, I must have read The Chronicles of Narnia, at least half-a-dozen times. And who could ever forget the Twain classic, Huckleberry Finn? I remember reading that one in school.
    One step at a time.

In all honesty, I never liked Narnia all that much. I mean it was good, but his philosophical writing is what really stood out for me. Mere Christianity, The Abolition of Man, Men without Chests, The Weight of Glory...they're so sharp and clear, they almost hurt to read. I've never read any other author who can say so much in a sentence so consistently. My absolute favorite is The Screwtape Letters with The Great Divorce a close second. I didn't like his space trilogy all that much, though it was good enough to give me the creeps from time to time, lol.

Finn and Sawyer are good, no doubt, but I tend to enjoy his travel logs and stories about his life better. His letters are just candy to read. For me, I don't think he was ever better than with the immediacy of life, writing as he lived it. He tints things just so, and gives things just the right amount of twist without distorting them. Of course, that changed when he got old and morose. There are a few humor shorts of his that just shatter me no matter how many times I read them. My favorite is The Invalid's Story, even though the ending of it stinks.

You know I hate to admit it but I've never read The Great Divorce. But thanks for reminding me, and it now sits at the top of my Must Read list. I did see the stage play, which I enjoyed immensely. Who could ever forget the spooky "grey town?" It is a great story. There are also plans for a movie, I believe.
    One step at a time.

Didn't know there was a movie in the works. Seems like a difficult work to put on the screen.

I liked the play, but it will all depend on the treatment, whether or not it will adapt to a good movie. It's certainly a powerful story.

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ct...get-movie.html
    One step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya Bell View Post
    I liked the play, but it will all depend on the treatment, whether or not it will adapt to a good movie. It's certainly a powerful story.

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ct...get-movie.html
    I remember when they did Shadowlands. OK movie, but I was unimpressed.