HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Read any good books lately?

Just wondering.

*_*

Kitty. Not me. I've been reading mostly e-books. I haven't read a blow-me-away book in about 2 years. And I average about 2 or 3 books a week.

Well, right now I'm watching Season One (DVD) of Boardwalk Empire and LOVING it! But then I was nuts about The Sopranos too.

Other than that, I'm reading (the equally fascinating) Paranormal: My Life in Pursuit of the Afterlife, by Raymond Moody, M.D.

So are you saying e-books are, on the average, not the sort that would "blow" you away? That doesn't bode well, does i?

*_*

Kitty. If you're talking fiction and the book is only published as an e-book, then no, I haven't had much luck. I think, right now, it's the equivalent of listening to demo-tapes recorded by garage bands lol. But I've found several e-books by established authors, and the books were good - - one of them was 4 out of 5 stars. And I've read several good short stories, free ones even.

Kinda quiet in here, isn't it? Reminds me of church on a winter night, when it's twenty-below, and snow is piling in drifts.

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    Lately? Not really. Haven't had the time. The last one I read was the second book in The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo series. That was in January, I think. Pretty good. It's a mystery and was better than the first. They say the second it's the best in the series, and I haven't been compelled to pick up the last one. I was really surprised with how much it dragged on (the first one), but by the end I understood why so many people like the book.

Back in the summer I read The Hunger Games series. That's a great read. VERY hard to put down. I hadn't even realized they were coming out with a movie at the time. A friend just dropped it on my lap and said read these. It stole three days of my life! But totally worth it.

War of the Worlds was another good one I read this year. Wells had a great imagination, that's for sure.

I know I've read a few more, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    Kinda quiet in here, isn't it? Reminds me of church on a winter night, when it's twenty-below, and snow is piling in drifts.
    Perhaps we should get the scissors and thread out and make some SPs.
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    I haven't read a blow-me-away book in about 2 years.
    And what book was that?
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

I've just read UR, a novella by Stephen King on my kindle. I also read The Pile of Stuff at the Bottom of the Stairs by Christina Hopkinson recently and it is fantastic. Light reading, very funny. You will especially enjoy it if you are married with children.

Full Dark, No Stars, by Stephen King. It's a collection of four novellas, all dealing with retribution in some way or another. Absolutely stunning writing. Captivating, particularly the one about a wife discovering something devastating about her husband, and loving him anyway. But love sometimes is not enough to make you forgive, and does not dictate what you will do next.

Debbi

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda Clementine View Post
    And what book was that?
    Don't know if it's been 2 years, but it [I]seems[I]it because I read so much. Full Dark/Stephen King and the last book I read about Repairman Jack/F Paul Wilson. The Repairman Jack novels have a bit of paranormal in them and the Jack character is a 'fixit' guy you call when you have problems you can't take care of legally. If you've never read F Paul Wilson, check his stuff out - - some of his short stories are the best you'll read in horror, very disturbing (not in a slasher/Friday The 13th way) and sometimes almost prophetic in a dark 1984 way.
    Last edited by The Tinman; 04-20-2012 at 01:52 AM.