HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does WM do any editing?

William Morris is just about the biggest, best agency out there. I am worried my novel (requested) may not be up to snuff for their giant scale, but it would only take a good editor to look through it to fix it up. I know they are no boutique agency. Does anyone here know if they do any editing? Is it worth mentioning that I'm willing to put more effort in?

If an agent at WM is reading your book, don't mention anything at this point. Just let them read it.

If they are interested in representing you, and they think editing would fix any problems, they will most likely suggest that you do the edits yourself.

Good luck! I hope they love it.

Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post
    If an agent at WM is reading your book, don't mention anything at this point. Just let them read it.

If they are interested in representing you, and they think editing would fix any problems, they will most likely suggest that you do the edits yourself.

Good luck! I hope they love it.
    Leslee is correct. Send it off. If they're interested, they'll send you an editorial letter specifying what they think needs changed. Mind you, they may do this first without offering you representation. It's up to you whether or not you want to take the chance. Speaking from experience, I sent my first ms to Writers House and this is exactly what they did. I made all the changes, yet they still declined it. However, shortly after, I sent the same now-revised ms to ICM where it was accepted (and of course I then had further revisions to do with them).

Other writers may say to not revise anything unless you have a contract in hand. However, I highly doubt that ICM would have agreed to rep me if I'd sent that ms to them in its original form.

I'm with Jena. If an agent asks you to make changes prior to signing a contract - and you are really interested in being represented by that agent - make the changes. It'll show them you know how to edit.

I am worried my novel (requested) may not be up to snuff for their giant scale,
    PS We all worry about that. It never goes away.

Aww, Jena, thanks for the boost. That's good to hear.

Thank you, everyone, for the input! And....it's off!!!

I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared! (Tune of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik)

Good luck, good luck, goodluckgoodluckgoodluck! (second bar)

Fingers crossed, Sav!
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Thanks!!!! Everyone!