HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Editing

Thanks, Susan.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

You know, I've never read SK. That genre never appealed to me. But I think I'm going to try one. Which would you all recommend as a good starting point?

John,

My all-time favorite Stephen King book is The Stand. It's an apocalyptic book about the battle between good and evil with strong religious overtones. Just don't do what I did and read it when you have the flu! (You'll understand that reference when you read the opening pages.)

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne Gassman View Post
    John,

My all-time favorite Stephen King book is The Stand. It's an apocalyptic book about the battle between good and evil with strong religious overtones. Just don't do what I did and read it when you have the flu! (You'll understand that reference when you read the opening pages.)

Jeanne

I know what you mean about the flu. I was reminded of "Project Blue", or "Captain Tripps" during the recent swine flu outbreak. It's a scary scenario. I did enjoy reading The Stand, but my all time favourite King story is The Shining. I liked the movie too. Jack Nicholson was diabolically good.
    One step at a time.

John. The Stand is good, but unless you want to develop arm problems from heavy lifting, you might want to start with something shorter. I already mentioned Salems Lot (about 450 pages), but you might want to wet your teeth on one of his shorts. I like The Mist (Skeleton Crew) and One For the Road, and Gray Matter (both in Night Shift). There are several others. If you're not a fan of the horror genre, you might prefer one of his Richard Bachman novels--I liked Thinner. Good Luck!

John. Or even The Shawshank Redemption, which has no horror or paranormal element to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    John. Or even The Shawshank Redemption, which has no horror or paranormal element to it.
    Hah! Bingo! I didn't know he wrote that! Alrighty then...I'll dip my toe into SK.

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    The Green Mile is another, although that one is quite twisted. And The Body (movie title is Stand by Me) is in the same book as The Shawshank Redemption. They were grouped together with two other stories in the book titled Different Seasons.
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Don't forget Delores Claiborne and Misery.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

I was at a bookstore last night and happened upon The Green Mile and thumbed through it a little.

Hooooly cats. I guess that fellow can write, ey?