HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Editing

Editing

I just picked up a copy of 'Salem's Lot from the library. It's my favorite Stephen King novel, and I've read it several times. But this time it's the illustrated edition. In the back of the book are 50 pages that were edited out of the original version. And it's set up so you can easily see how his manuscript (untouched by his editor) would have read. Anyone struggling with self-editing might want to take a look. IMHO, the book is far better with the 50 pages edited out.

The same goes for The Stand (my favourite SK novel). The unabridged version was far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan B View Post
    The same goes for The Stand (my favourite SK novel). The unabridged version was far too long.
    lol@Susan. Yeah, most of his books could be used as doorstops. But Salem's Lot isn't too bad on that account -- only 427 pages in the paperback -- so it wouldn't have been too long with the extra 50 pages. The pages just didn't add anything to the book.

Wow - I wonder how long his first draft of 11-22-63 was. The final version was around 900 pages. Good stuff, but man, that was a huge story.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Quote Originally Posted by C Bets View Post
    Wow - I wonder how long his first draft of 11-22-63 was. The final version was around 900 pages. Good stuff, but man, that was a huge story.
    TOTALLY! I'm dying to read it, but it's gonna go on my Nook. No way am I lugging that door stop around.

Yeah, I read it on my Kindle. Much easier to handle. (Although I loved the look of the actual book and want one to put on my shelves.)

And, btw, I thought The Unquiet was due to be shipped this month, but I see it won't arrive until July. Did I goof that up from the beginning, or has it been delayed?
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by C Bets View Post
    Yeah, I read it on my Kindle. Much easier to handle. (Although I loved the look of the actual book and want one to put on my shelves.)
    Funny you should say that. I've spent the afternoon sorting out bookshelves and now have two whole shelves dedicated to SK. I've had all the hardbacks in the bottom of my wardrobe for two years. I read 11/22/63 on my Kindle, but I'm planning to buy the paperback for my collection.

I'd love to get the hard cover. Is it still available, I wonder?
    Cindy

Last edited by Susan B; 04-13-2012 at 12:22 PM.

And, btw, I thought The Unquiet was due to be shipped this month, but I see it won't arrive until July. Did I goof that up from the beginning, or has it been delayed?
    Yeah, the release date is 7/17. I'm at a book fair tomorrow, but only signing the first two. Bummer.