HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange Link

Strange Link

CG, when I logged on this morning and clicked the New Posts, this is what showed up instead:

http://63.209.69.107/search/web/foru...831-5641_e3/v5

Had the same problem here yesterday when I clicked something or other. And now it's decided to follow me to "New Posts"!

Is this a Google interference, do you think? How can I give 'em hell?

*_*

Hi Kitty,

You may have a virus or interfering toolbar installed in your browser/PC that's hijacking requests.
    When I do a reverse-DNS lookup on that IP address 63.209.69.107,
    it points to a site called scour.com - a search site whose tagline is "Scour - Search Socially".
    Beyond that I have no idea what it might be - I run a Mac instead of a PC now, so haven't had
    to deal with that kind of issue on my machine for six or seven years.

Hope you can get it resolved soon.
    Good luck.

Paul

Thanks, paul. The weird thing is, it just bugs me here at WN and only once in a while.

*_*

Support Team
    You might want to run an online scan to see if anything comes up:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by cg stephen View Post
    You might want to run an online scan to see if anything comes up:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/index.html
    Thanks, CG. According to your link, it has "Support for 64-bit, Windows 7, and Windows 7 SP1." I have Firefox/Windows XP, so am wondering if I should hold off for now. Am very computer challenged when trying to fix weird stuff like this. (Memories of the hacked WN -- two years ago? -- come to mind.)

As I said, since yesterday, this has happened only here at WN (twice this morning). If my computer was infected with Scour.com, wouldn't it happen when I'm outta here too? I've had no problems with other websites, or Googling, or whatever...so far.

*_*

I'm wondering if there's any connection between Scour.com, WN, and my Google gmail account. I used the gmail address when I registered here (well, it was a hotmail address originally, then I changed it). For the past week or so -- right around the time this Scour aggravation began (just here at WN, and only sporadically) -- I wasn't able to log in to my gmail other than for a few minutes somewhere during the day. Kept getting the message to "try again." Hah.

But now that everything seems okay gmail-wise (for now), I've discovered that I can't get into the Documents section --which Google provides, as long as you keep a gmail address. Have done a search and found that lots of others can't get into their Docs either. Should we feel paranoid? Is Big Bro or Worse reading our stuff?

If I ever AM able to retrieve the docs, I wanna export them the hell away from Google, and close the gmail account entirely. But I hear zapping a gmail account is very hard to do.

http://google-sucks.org/

*_*

I was finally able to retrieve my Google.docs. Sloughing off some

did the job. Now to see if this will also get rid of Scour.com. Tomorrow should tell.

(Y'all really give a sheeeeeyet about this, right? )

*_*

I think you've uncovered a portal into an alternate web-o-sphere-type-thingy.

I'd be real careful if I were you.

(and now I've scared myself.)

A couple of days ago I downloaded Adblock Plus and no longer see sneaky ads crawling up my screen. Duh...I should have done that long ago.

Hope I'm not rejoicing too soon.

*_*