HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Is Black Rose Writing a scam/ Vanity Publisher?

I submitted a query letter for Black Rose Writing (blackrosewriting.com) a month ago. After submitting I did some research and found some negative comments about the publisher - such as they require authors to buy 75 copies of their own book.
    Anyways I now received an email that they want to read my full manuscript.
    I am not sure should I waste time in submitting the manuscript to them if they end up being just a vanity publisher.

Does anyone here have any experience with them?

I don't know anything about them, but there is a very long discussion about them here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=97741

It's well worth reading.

Jeanne

Legitimate publishers don't require authors to purchase copies of their own book.

Walk away.

Here's another link for you: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/1...publisher.html
    Last edited by jayce; 03-30-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Oy.

Mitzi: Google this phrase: publish america complaints

You'll be overwhelmed.
    Last edited by jayce; 04-01-2012 at 05:06 PM.

That photo looks very familiar.

*_*

my experience has been positive with Black Rose

I wrote a non-fiction book and had difficulty finding a publisher; long story short, Black Rose offered to publish my work last year.

I cannot comment on the experiences of others, but mine has been positive. Black Rose has done everything they said they would do, and I have had zero "bad" surprises.

First of all, aside from a few copies of my book, I have never paid them a penny for anything, period. They communicated dates and stuck to them. They had me work directly with their designers on the cover and layout, with all items approved by me personally. Yes, they only provide one free copy to the author. Sure, they probably make most of their money from writers who buy the book to give away. But for me they have had no requirements to buy books or anything like that; they simply have communicated my royalty check details, and that is fine with me (the book has sold hundred of copies, which is thrilling for me; I didn't expect to walk into Barnes and Noble, although some B&Ns in my area did stock the book at my request).

I have done my own promotion through various channels. Black Rose has stepped up and are present at major book fairs to promote authors (and yes, I'm sure Black Rose as a publisher). I am realistic and know that for a book that might generate Black Rose hundreds of dollars of profit, they aren't going to sink in tens of thousands of dollars in promotional activity. All I ask is they do what they say, and that is what has happened.

Sure, they are in business to make money. All publishers are. You might be able to make more money by self-publishing. Or you might not. But I do know that Black Rose has a stable of quality writers (some are professional writers for large newspapers, for example), and I was honored to be invited to join their ranks, and I am proud to say I am a published writer (even if published by a "lower tier" publisher). In fact, after my contract term of two years expires, I will probably sign on for an extension.

Vince

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by vince_sellers View Post
    I wrote a non-fiction book and had difficulty finding a publisher; long story short, Black Rose offered to publish my work last year.

I cannot comment on the experiences of others, but mine has been positive. Black Rose has done everything they said they would do, and I have had zero "bad" surprises.

First of all, aside from a few copies of my book, I have never paid them a penny for anything, period. They communicated dates and stuck to them. They had me work directly with their designers on the cover and layout, with all items approved by me personally. Yes, they only provide one free copy to the author. Sure, they probably make most of their money from writers who buy the book to give away. But for me they have had no requirements to buy books or anything like that; they simply have communicated my royalty check details, and that is fine with me (the book has sold hundred of copies, which is thrilling for me; I didn't expect to walk into Barnes and Noble, although some B&Ns in my area did stock the book at my request).

I have done my own promotion through various channels. Black Rose has stepped up and are present at major book fairs to promote authors (and yes, I'm sure Black Rose as a publisher). I am realistic and know that for a book that might generate Black Rose hundreds of dollars of profit, they aren't going to sink in tens of thousands of dollars in promotional activity. All I ask is they do what they say, and that is what has happened.

Sure, they are in business to make money. All publishers are. You might be able to make more money by self-publishing. Or you might not. But I do know that Black Rose has a stable of quality writers (some are professional writers for large newspapers, for example), and I was honored to be invited to join their ranks, and I am proud to say I am a published writer (even if published by a "lower tier" publisher). In fact, after my contract term of two years expires, I will probably sign on for an extension.

Vince
    There are plenty of other small publishers who have far less shady reputations.

With 70% of 'books' units being sold now as 'ebooks', I hate to say it but print is dead.

No one needs a publisher today, we live in the age of Self Publishing via Amazon and other sites and POD as well.

If you want to make money selling books/ebooks you need to create a legit .com site for you name or penname.

Then tie it to all social media, then point every thing you do to your .com to SELL IT yourself.

You put your stuff on sites such as Am azon with lots of full page ads to your site to sell your other books.

You promote on all the sites you can you .com to SELL YOUR BOOKS

You use the big sites with FULL PAGE ADS to SELL BOOKS ON YOUR SITE

You don't do Select or exclusives.

If you start to sell your work and get a fan base then agents and publishers will want to work with you since you have shown there is a market for your work.

Good luck
    I created this FREE EBOOKS FORUM TOOL to help Authors hit the top of Twitter using one of my major KLOUT accounts on Twitter It's at FREE EBOOKS FORUM TO HELP AUTHORS Put your Genre in header of post within an hour you will be top of twitter for that Genre

Junior Member StanPopovich(Author)'s Avatar
    No I don't. Sorry.