HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

What features are overrated by reviewers and awards judges? And what's underrated?

Would you say there are any particular features of books that are overrated by reviewers and awards judges?

And any things you'd say are underrated?

I'm not necessarily looking for titles of books that are under- or overrated. I'm more looking for aspects in general that you might say are overrated or underrated.

Thanks

Tayble: it's not necessary to post your question in every forum; most of us peruse them all.

Are you entering a contest?

I'm not entering a contest. I know with some awards in some other industries there tend to be biases towards particular things that I wouldn't really say are very well defendable from an objective point of view. And I'm interested to learn how prizes for writing fair. I wouldn't write with an aim to win an award.

Hmm...I've entered quite a few writing competitions, won a few, and placed in others. It really depends, though, on the type of competition or award. For example, some "awards" are really nothing but popularity contests. These are the competitions where you post an excerpt of your work, query letter, etc., and a crowd of strangers votes for the best ones. I'm not sure what value these have, as they are easily rigged.

There are also some very prestigious awards and competitions out there for short stories, short story collections, novels, and poetry collections. Many of them are quite competitive in that you may be up against people who are very successful in their field. To find the awards or competitions like this that are legit, I advise you to look at the listings in Poets & Writers. These are screened by the P&W folks before they will post an announcement.

You should also consider the weight of the entry fee against the actual prize. A contest that charges $20 to win a prize of $250 is a bit of a scam. It's pretty clear that they're making a profit from the contest. Legit writing competitions tend to be non-profit ventures, charging fees only to cover their expenses. If the judges are listed, take note of that. Check out their writing, as this will give you an idea of tastes and biases.

Places to find information about legit writing awards and competitions include:

Poets & Writers
    Funds for Writers
    New Pages
    (and my blog, where I announce writing competitions!)

Hope that helps.

Jeanne