HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Emotions in novels, and reviewers and award judges

Would you say that reviewers and award judges tend to rate more highly novels that deal with a particular emotion over novels that deal more with another emotion?

For example, say there's a lot of sadness in one novel and a lot of happiness in another.

And (hypothetical of course) both novels are equally good in all other respects.

...might you expect reviewers and award judges to sing the praises of one novel more than they would the other?

In general, no. That said, readers of some genres expect certain elements which the story has to deliver (Harlequin romance novels come to mind). As to the specific example—sadness over happiness—I would think readers of, say, Christian-themed books would favor happy, upbeat, renewal-of-the-spirit endings, but I could be wrong since I don't read that stuff.

I'm curious that you would ask what leads "reviewers and award judges to sing the praises of one novel more than they would the other." Is that why you're writing?... to win awards?

Thanks Jayce.

That's not why I write.

Just interested to know.