HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    relco: Although not commonplace, novels written utilizing both first- and third-person POV have been published. (Maybe someone here knows specific titles.) If you do this, you should limit your POV shifts to chapter breaks. Above all, it must be clear to the reader when you do shift POV.

Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes shifts between first and third person POV. Can't recall any others right now.
    Last edited by Liza B.; 03-21-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    relco: Although not commonplace, novels written utilizing both first- and third-person POV have been published. (Maybe someone here knows specific titles.) If you do this, you should limit your POV shifts to chapter breaks. Above all, it must be clear to the reader when you do shift POV.
    The book I just finished, Jane Bradley's You Believers, does it. I had a bit of trouble when it shifted to first person at a chapter opening and took a while to let me know whose perspective it was in.

Yeah, I've read a few with rapid POV shifts--it is difficult to read at first, that is very true. Though I like the idea I came up with just a bit ago, to restrict the shifts to periods of intoxication... I'm going to roll with that for a while and see how things go. I don't have very much written so far, but I did just finish a short story version, which consists of 5200 words.

Another great thread. Bottom line is, if I can't figure out if "Fritz" and "Miller" are the same person, or who the "I" is by the end of the first page, it's going back on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Liza B. View Post
    Yes, I do! To me, they're some of the best examples of successful first person narratives. Thomas Bernhard's novels are very dark, but I admire him the most. Beckett is a close second.
    Well, I just think it's a very interesting list. It tells me a lot about you, and puts a lot of questions in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Well, I just think it's a very interesting list. It tells me a lot about you, and puts a lot of questions in my mind.
    Trolling?

Don't get so personal in a writing thread.