HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Can you get a self-published book published by a traditional publisher?

I'm wondering if anyone has experience on what are the changes of getting a self-published mystery novel accepted by a traditional publisher? I have searched dozens of possible publishers to whom I'm thinking of submitting my book and non of them really mention do they accept a previously self-published novel?

I doubt it. Many traditional publishers want to buy first rights.

what are the changes of getting a self-published mystery novel accepted by a traditional publisher?
    Unless your sell a couple of thousand copies on your own and can demonstrate that a sizable market remains to be tapped, your chances of engaging a traditional publishing house are exactly zero.

Your best shot is to write another novel.

Probably something under 20 have gotten this done, which should tell you something about the odds. M. J. Rose is one who managed it (of course she worked at an PR agency). You can probably find her and her story on the Internet. Most who managed it did so well with the self-published version that the publisher came to them--and then only because the publisher saw a large untapped market for the book.