HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Everything with you always ends with "Look at my resume." How weird. Why are you like this?

But anyhow. I wasn't discussing writer motivation when I called academic presses vanity. I was discussing how you have to pay to play and bring your own customers. Isn't that what defines vanity press? If the writer chose to publish his/her scholarly work with Tate, would that make Tate not a vanity press? If Tate published a bunch of academic works, could it call itself an academic press?

In other news,

http://www.wsbt.com/business/la-fi-t...,6879654.story
    Last edited by L C; 03-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.

I believe you were the one who brought up resumes. Except we just have to take yours on faith, don't we?

Enough of this. You obviously are going to hold on your silly prejudice. That's pretty much a "so what."

The fact is that I've never known an author of an academic press to have to kick in money of his/her own (it's always someone else's money, based on the fact that this process isn't anything like the vanity process you equate with it), and, except for best-sellers, I've never known an author of a trade book not having to fill out a "who can you touch to sell this to?" questionnaire for the publisher.

I'm sure you're so great that you are the exception, though. At least where you don't have to prove it.
    Last edited by Gary Kessler; 03-09-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Well, since you asked, no, I never did have to fill out a questionnaire telling the publisher who would buy my book. Not even with my small press publisher. I did have to discuss the target audience in my proposal, though. Maybe I AM the odd one out.

Amazon owns IMDb! I didn't know that! There was a lengthy WSJ article about it today. Why does Amazon need to own a snoop database? Besides that it makes money.

Amazon is a corporation.

Corporations are people.

Show a little empathy.

jayce -lol

Lately it has occurred to me that most of the stuff I buy online is from Amazon and the websites it owns. drugstore.com, beauty.com, hautelook.com. I guess I'm part of the problem.