HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Create a Space

Create a Space

Why shouldn't I use Createaspace to self publish? It looks pretty easy. Cover design, interior layout and author copies all seem cheaper there.

Greg: I have no first-hand knowledge, but if you do search you'll turn up a ton of threads on the subject. And it's createspace, not createaspace.

Good luck.

Sorry Greg, I also don't know about self-publishing at Createspace. I did my own formatting/layout, hired a cover artist (was not expensive), purchased an ISBN for ten bucks through Smashwords, and put it online as an ebook through Smashwords, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Smashwords then distributed it to Sony, Apple iBookstore, Kobo, and Diesel for me.

The only thing is I don't get any printed copies nor am I doing POD at this time.

Thanks Lea and Jayce,

I have been looking through the other createspace comments on here. There is a lot of good info. Createspace offers the cover design and interior layout for a good price, but maybe I can't take those layouts over to BandN. I might want to use designers so I can transfer the files onto both places for free. The book printing option at Createspace is important to me though because I do want to sell copies at presentations I give. They charge about 3.85 per copy for 250 pages.

CreateSpace is just fine to use. Two of my (traditional) publishers are moving to use it too rather than either print runs or Lightningsource POD, because they say it's easier, cheaper, and comes with better on-line distribution (quickly pushing out brick and mortar stores for sales) than anything else they have been using or have considered using.

Those publishers also then put it out with Smashwords and other distributors too for the e-book versions.

Gary, not to mention - it gets to your readers so much faster.

I'll definitely consider POD in the future, but it's not an affordable option for me at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Zalas View Post
    Gary, not to mention - it gets to your readers so much faster.

I'll definitely consider POD in the future, but it's not an affordable option for me at this point in time.
    POD is merely a mode of printing. It doesn't denote a publisher category. All of the publishers are using it now for their back catelog that no longer generates a lot of orders. It's permitted them to cut closer to the edge on their print run orders and the technology has come a long way both in quality and cost. You'd probably be surprised what you are buying that was printed on demand.

As far as a publishing choice, though, the e-book revolution has made print POD--even for self-publishing--a nice to have add on, not a centerpiece. The new money (and greater profit) is in e-booking for most popular genres--with a paperback option for those who can't keep up with the world (like me). And hardbacks are quickly going the way of the dodo bird.

I love my hard covers, the first book I ever bought when I was sixteen, was a hard cover. And I still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Zalas View Post
    I love my hard covers, the first book I ever bought when I was sixteen, was a hard cover. And I still have it.
    Unfortunately, I can say that about a bunch of books I have to shelve and dust and pay big bucks to store when I'm abroad. Most paperbacks I can find a new home for.