HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I know! No cake party or anything! HEY, YOU GUYS! I'M DA ONE DAT GOT ALL DA TROPHIES!

(No reply. They just kept swimming.)
    Last edited by leslee; 02-14-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post
    I know! No cake party or anything! HEY, YOU GUYS! I'M DA ONE DAT GOT ALL DA TROPHIES!

(No reply. They just kept swimming.)
    ROFL!

I can't believe they separated us. Can you imagine what fun we'd be having now??

I can't believe they separated us. Can you imagine what fun we'd be having now??

It was so wrong. We should be sharing a tuna melt today!

Interesting how we both became writers, isn't it? Well, they say that twins have a great deal in common.

@Leslee The examples of agent/editor opinions you gave weren't sensitive remarks at all. If some kid read my book and said, "I didn't like it. It was boring," I wouldn't be offended. You're right, all authors have to deal with that. I was just worried that agents and editors would say "Your books sucks a lot and no one would ever want to read that garbage." I don't think they'd talk like that. But saying, "I don't think this will sell" is fine. Anytime someone says something negative about my writing, I think to myself, "how can I improve it?" I don't mope around and think, "that person is very insulting." Anyway, thanks for telling me what happens in the publishing industry. When I'm older, I may consider publishing with agents and publishing houses.

I was just worried that agents and editors would say "Your books sucks a lot and no one would ever want to read that garbage." I don't think they'd talk like that.

Honey, YES THEY DO. That is what I am trying to tell you. What do you think, "Put that manuscript in a drawer and forget about it," means? No, they may not use childish language like "sucks a lot" or "garbage," but they can be very straightforward about not liking your work and thinking it's irredeemable. They're human. They can be as nasty or as nice as anyone else.

You've got to get past the idea that some criticism is okay and some isn't when you're talking about agents/publishers/editors. They can be very abrupt, and you simply take a deep breath, consider what you've been told, and keep going in the direction you feel is best for you.
    Last edited by leslee; 02-14-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Adults wasted 3 years of my life telling me I could sing. Nobody told me I didn't have "it". I would rather have the criticism. It's more useful.

@Leslee I see. Yeah, it's going to be a while until I feel ready to submit to an agent. Maybe it won't be until I'm at least 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunayna Prasad View Post
    @Leslee I see. Yeah, it's going to be a while until I feel ready to submit to an agent. Maybe it won't be until I'm at least 30.
    Now that's just so sad. Willingly giving up a good chunk of your life to fear.

I had hoped that what we were all trying to explain to you was getting through.

It was actually getting through. I won't give up writing at all. That was just a light prediction. Maybe I'll be ready to publish sooner than that.

Develop a fierce determination to improve your craft and a tough skin. Be prepared to persevere. These skills will serve you well.

Jeanne