HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggested suitable name for opening section.

Hello,

I am writing a story in which the main character comes to a messy end. Before the story begins I want a brief, one page opening section to tell briefly what the story leads to and how it ends. Little more than a hint really and certainly not giving the game away too soon. This opening section I have ready will be dated to make the timing clear, and will be set about two years after the opening of the story proper.

My problem is is what to head this opening - what title to use. I have thought of Epilogue or Postscript but neither grabs me. With the time element it obviously cannot be prelude.

The work is novel length and a crime story.

Any bright ideas out there, folks.

Regards to all.

Amos K.

If you put it before the story starts, it's called "prologue"

Epilogue is written at the end of the story.

You could simply write TWO YEARS AGO if you want a heading and don't want to use "prologue." Or you can simply use nothing. My novel has a half-page prologue with no heading at all.

A mosquito!

Hah! Good one!

Didn't notice that. LOL!

Thanks for the interest. It does refer to a later event in real time though. Doesn't that rule out using 'prologue?'

There is always something intriguing about a story that starts with 'TWO YEARS AGO' or, 'BEFORE'. Not sure why. Maybe because you know immediately that you are diving into proper tale, with events and characters that you will come to know well. I'm not a massive fan of short time-span stories for some reason. Never liked '24' and HATED 'Saturday' by Ian McEwen. JMHO.

It might look strange having an epilogue at the beginning, but if that works with your story arc, then why not go for it? Does this event in your 'prologue' happen at the chronological end of your story?
    Last edited by Susan B; 02-06-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: cross posted

A prologue doesn't necessarily have to refer to something in the past.

I'm just not sure what it is you're describing. Either it's a prologue or an epilogue - it's up to you to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Keeto View Post
    Thanks for the interest. It does refer to a later event in real time though. Doesn't that rule out using 'prologue?'
    No, the content is not relevant to what it is as an element in the work. A prologue comes in front; an epilogue goes on the back. That's how they are defined as elements.