HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Will you give us a peek at your opening graphs?

(I agree with the others: this is an excellent query. Good luck with it.)

All dogs get free copies. That's for sure.

Thank you, everyone, for the great suggestions! This is why it can be so great to come here. Knowledgeable advice given well and understandably. Thanks, all!

And C!!---aww, you made me smile. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Will you give us a peek at your opening graphs?

(I agree with the others: this is an excellent query. Good luck with it.)
    thanks. here....

-Prologue

There are many who will tell you Jesus loved me. Not so. Or they say that he loved all mankind and I was fortunate to be among his favorites. Again, I say: no. To my knowledge, he loved only one. He drove me from his breast, and so I denied him. It was not from hate. I loved him so deeply, my bones could have turned to dust for him to walk on. I loved him enough to do the things I did. I made him immortal.

The whole world knows his story now, because of me. Who spun the tales, to prove what had never been? Though he had a wise man’s way with words, he would not write them down. I was the one who changed them to songs, to miracles, to tales for the ages. For he was the god I worshipped. And my rewards for serving him would, I believed, therefore be the gifts of a god. And for me that might almost be enough.

-One

I woke on my thirteenth birthday to the steady rhythm of moisture dripping from the eaves into the mud. The hairy smell of beasts of burden wafted to my nostrils, and the sandy stink of freshwater fish. I curled tight around myself, postponing the moment I would open my eyes. Then Father’s feet found my ribs. He towered above my pallet on the floor.

“Get up, or the fish will be gone.” He rounded on Andrew and yanked the thin blanket from his shoulders. Without another look for either of his sons he picked up the nets and baskets and shuffled on bandied legs from the hut. My mother, Agnes, quickly kissed us both and handed out bites of old bread and last night’s cold stew in a mug. Still disoriented, I snatched up my nets and ran out.

Dawn had risen by the time we were on the lake. The sun flamed a spark of life over the horizon. I squinted into the gold-baized light, remembering the one thing that sent the loathing back down my throat, past my heart, to settle deep in my stomach. One day—one day, I will leave here. One way or another, I resolved I would do it.

That's a short glimpse. Again, thanks everyone. After looking over all the suggestions, I am pretty much going with Keith's ideas. Thanks!