HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Groups that would be right for my writing genre

I am still reading a bunch of middle grade novels (although I may cut it down to fifty instead of a hundred, because I may run out of recently published novels that catch my attention) and am onto my fourth book. I tried to look at the groups for when I am ready to write again and it loaded nothing, even with view all.

Hi Sunayna,

Not making a whole lot of sense here.

"I tried to look at the groups"

What groups? Online groups? Local groups? Publishers? Agents?

"...and it loaded nothing, even with view all."

Now I'm lost. What is "it"? What is "view all"? Writing is all about communication.

I was talking about the groups on this site.

There aren't any groups on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunayna Prasad View Post
    I was talking about the groups on this site.
    Me, myself and I, we is a groups!

Sunny, writers write.
    NEVER let anyone read what you have written until you are satisfied it is the best.
    There is only ONE writer here who I let edit two of my books, within 24 months, he went blind.
    Now I am not that big on omens, but the next idiot I let edit something must be near the end of their days or I shan't risk it. I have found this former agent who is in his 90s so I am negotiating with him between naps!

Sunny stop coming here with problems. You will only ever get professional writing advice. I know of only two really goods bits of writing advice and the first one is mine.
    Writers write.
    POLISH, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, polish, and then, POLISH IT AGAIN!
    When it is perfect, send it to an agent, or an editor or a publisher and be prepared to have them tell you it is rubbish and don't come back.

Why?

Cos that is the business. Do you know JK's story? Never went to an editor, never went to an agent, walked straight into a publisher.
    NOW, she had a book to sell. You don't have squat and yet you are panicking about the process!

Go write something.
    Then write something else in case it is better.
    Gee, you aren't even up to reading adult fiction yet and you are trying to mimic it and play with the big people and wonder why they don't play by your rules. WHEN you are an adult, and especially when you have children you will know this is true, the goal posts shift, the rules change!
    Now I won't say much more, I don't want to break the adult's rules of destroying children's illusions, get outa my way, I am here to win and you're gunna get hurt, kid!
    Last edited by Herman Munster; 02-17-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
    I have found this former agent who is in his 90s so I am negotiating with him between naps!
    His or yours? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

If you're referring to JK Rowling, Herman, she did indeed have an agent: http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/biography.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    If you're referring to JK Rowling, Herman, she did indeed have an agent: http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/biography.cfm
    Oh dear, someone else I have misrepresented.
    I must be getting folks mixed up.
    My writing parameters for my work doesn't include authors, at this stage, so maybe I need better information. I was sure she went straight into the publisher. Now, is this one correct? The first person and woman to make a billion dollars from writing . . . It sounded good when I heard it, but where was that?
    Oh yeah, I resisted on the crit of her words, assuming they are her words! Oops!

"nice plastic folder and set them off"