HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hey, I'm romantic.

I'm writing something of a romance novel. It might fit into that genre. I call it The Swan Society.

Oh.

*_*

I like swans. I'm not much of a romance reader. I don't even write it very well. I wrote a sex scene once and gave myself a hernia laughing.

gave myself a hernia
    heh heh

My mother used to read Harlequin romances. When I was eight or nine, I read a few and was appalled to find the only variances were the names and occupations of the characters. It was always boy meets girl. Boy and girl immediately dislike each other (but the sparks are unmistakeable). Boy and girl spend most of the book misunderstanding each other until the end when they finally acknowledge each other's love and embrace. The end.

Tho' I understand these days they're allowed to make love - discreetly.

Romance is fun to write. I enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    I'm writing something of a romance novel. It might fit into that genre. I call it The Swan Society.
    Very nice. How is this coming? I can so see it fitting into the romance genre with a title like that.

Oh, hit and miss. It's the story of a man who loses his wife due to his extracurricular activity on the internet. He gets fed up with himself and decides to fight ardently against the kind of guy he used to be. He decides to create a dating site called The Swan Society calculated to protect women from guys who just want a hook-up and introduce them to good, serious guys looking for wives. The site becomes wildly popular and successful, but he hides his identity, and doesn't think himself worthy of a romantic relationship after his past exploits. He devotes himself wholly to the site and helping women find good mates, and not even his family or ex-wife knows he runs the now famous Swan Society. They think he's still the shallow sexual predator looking for cheap fast hook-ups, but he's not. He's totally changed.

Evenutally, fate steps in and he finds love for himself in a way he least expects.

It's just one of my books that I jump into when I hit a wall in one of my others.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Oh, hit and miss. It's the story of a man who loses his wife due to his extracurricular activity on the internet. He gets fed up with himself and decides to fight ardently against the kind of guy he used to be. He decides to create a dating site called The Swan Society calculated to protect women from guys who just want a hook-up and introduce them to good, serious guys looking for wives. The site becomes wildly popular and successful, but he hides his identity, and doesn't think himself worthy of a romantic relationship after his past exploits. He devotes himself wholly to the site and helping women find good mates, and not even his family or ex-wife knows he runs the now famous Swan Society. They think he's still the shallow sexual predator looking for cheap fast hook-ups, but he's not. He's totally changed.

Evenutally, fate steps in and he finds love for himself in a way he least expects.

It's just one of my books that I jump into when I hit a wall in one of my others.
    Very cool. How many books are you currently working on?

Four. It's the best cure for writer's block I've found. You just switch books until the story starts flowing and keep writing until the flow stops. Then you switch again. It works for me anyway.