HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Self publishing

So if I get my own copies printed for my customers, and also make them available on Amazon, ebooks and other places, agents and publishers would see this differently than if I just self-published?
    Getting your own copies printed and self-publishing are the same thing. Either way, you pay to have your book printed and bound, and you do the marketing. Whether you do it through a local printer or through the likes of Lulu is a matter of choice. A lot has been said on writers.net about printing one's own book; Gary Kessler contributed much to those discussions, so you might look through his posts.
    Last edited by jayce; 01-16-2012 at 09:49 AM.

But that doesn't mean you can't make self-publishing work for you.
    But only if you sell them, Greg. Not give them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Baron View Post
    If you mean trying to pitch the same work you self-pubbed -- yeah, they'll disapprove -- unless you sold a few thousand copies.

If you mean pitching a new work and asking whether you should mention previous, self-published stuff as publishing credits -- I'd avoid it -- unless you sold a few thousand copies.
    OK, self publish, sell a few thousand copies, and then get published by the big guys. I can do that. Piece of cake.