HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do agents/publishers look for?

It's really hard to know what to write next when you don't know what will strike an agent or publisher. I'm a fiction writer and am waiting for that one idea to hit a mainstream audience. I know you have to be able to write (obviously) and you need relate-able characters, but what is the real "x factor?"

Page turn-ability.

You're welcome.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Baron View Post
    Page turn-ability.

You're welcome.

Why thank you, oh wise man.

From my experience, I would say you need two things: story and tension. A good story idea can snare an agent/publisher's interest, but without the tension in the writing and chapters, that same agent/publisher will lose interest.

Jeanne

I'm a fiction writer and am waiting for that one idea to hit a mainstream audience.
    Don't waste your time. From the moment you latch onto an idea, begin writing, do your rewrites, polish, find an agent, land a publishing contract, go through more edits, proof the galleys, and wait for the printed novel to hit the stands, well, whatever that hot idea was when you began has long since been abandoned by your mainstream audience. And don't second-guess what might be popular in two-three years; write what's in your heart. Anything less is sure to fail. (I'm assuming, of course, that we're talking traditional publishing; if you go the self-pub route, then it's purely a crap shoot anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Don't waste your time. From the moment you latch onto an idea, begin writing, do your rewrites, polish, find an agent, land a publishing contract, go through more edits, proof the galleys, and wait for the printed novel to hit the stands, well, whatever that hot idea was when you began has long since been abandoned by your mainstream audience. And don't second-guess what might be popular in two-three years; write what's in your heart. Anything less is sure to fail. (I'm assuming, of course, that we're talking traditional publishing; if you go the self-pub route, then it's purely a crap shoot anyway.)
    Good advice. Ugh, self publishing can kiss my ass. I've done it three times to less than stellar results and I'm not doing it again. I put too much pressure on myself. I think every writer/artist does.

Kyle. You've self-published a book or an e-book? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    Kyle. You've self-published a book or an e-book? Just curious.
    I've self-published three paperback books, and turned my novel into an eBook as well.

Kyle. Thanks!!!

It's been said that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. But I believe if you don't have that 1%, it ain't gonna happen.