HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    (I have a Sylvester watch; his tail is the second hand. )
    Meant to say I often get his tail mixed up* with the second hand. In actuality, it's always hitting the 9 (one of my favorite numbers, BTW). His right foot is stuck on the 8, and his left, on the 6. One of his arms is the second hand. He's a cute lil' critter.

* I seem to be confused a lot lately. Hmmm....a "symptom of Ascension"?

*_*

Yeah, as I say, it depends on what link/video you happen to find. Only Mel Blanc would know for sure, and the dude's been daid for over twenty years.

Mel Blanc was brilliant, but he didn't create Tweety or write the dialogue. And people can post any title they like on a video.

According to the Looney Tunes site, it's "I tawt I taw a puddy tat."

I'll take their word for it.

http://thatsallfolks.com/
    Last edited by leslee; 12-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.

I just remembered I used to know a girl who was sort of a Tweetyholic. Everything she owned had Tweety on it. Clothes, too.

She was quite a cheerful girl. Tweety was a good influence!

Right, Mel was merely the voice man. But I always thought he gave his own "schtick" (way of speaking) to the cartoon character: Bugs Bunny, Woody, etc.. From your first link:

"Tweety was originally naked (pink), jowly, and far more aggressive and saucy, as opposed to the later, more well-known version of him as a less hot-tempered (but still somewhat ornery) yellow canary. In the movie Bugs Bunny, Superstar, animator Clampett stated, in a sotto voce "aside" to the audience, that Tweety had been based "on my own naked baby picture". Clampett did three more shorts with the "naked genius", as a Jimmy Durante-ish cat once called him in Gruesome Twosome. The last of these, Birdy and the Beast, finally bestowed the baby bird with his name.

Many of Mel Blanc's characters are notable for speech impediments. Tweety's comes from having a beak, with no lips or teeth. Thus he has trouble saying certain words, especially ones with "dental" sounds. For example, "pussy cat" comes out as "putty tat" or "puddy tat", and "sweetie pie" comes out as "tweetie pie", although it is doubtful he ever actually called himself by that name on-screen. Aside from this speech challenge, Tweety's voice (and a fair amount of his attitude) is similar to that of Bugs Bunny."

I too was a Tweetyholic at one time; also (and still do) owned a few Garfields.

*_*

I have no doubt that Mr. Blanc had lots to do with Tweety's speech and nature, as he did with all the characters he voiced.

However, what we were discussing was the signature phrase Tweety uses, not Mel Blanc's influence.

You said the spelling depends on which video you're looking at.

I said Looney Tunes spells it, "I tawt I taw a puddy tat."

I don't really have anything else to say about it.
    Last edited by leslee; 12-30-2011 at 11:32 AM.

A rose by another another name.....

*_*

My favorite word is from George Bernard Shaw, "ghoti". "Gh" as in tough, "o" as in women, "ti" as in nation. Makes as much sense as any other spelling rule I learned in school.

Translation: fish

(I know, I know, everybody learned this in freshman English.)

Half you guys weren't even alive when I took freshman English.

Half you guys weren't even alive when I took freshman English.
    heh heh. I wish.