HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

Stephen King

Okay. I just finished watching Bag Of Bones. Part 1 was just okay. Part 2 sucked. So what is it about Stephen King's writing that makes his books so popular yet so hard to transfer to screen? I've read and reread most of his books, but I can't tell you exactly why I like them.

i can't help you. Don't like Stephen King. Movies or otherwise....

BTW: Hi

Lol@Avonne. Hi!!!

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    I think he does it on purpose. At first, it just happened that way, it was the way horror movies were made. Now, I think he prefers his readers to enjoy his writing and their own imagination... Just a theory. (:
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

I know what you mean. With the obvious exceptions of 'Green Mile' and 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption' his stories don't seem to transfer well to the screen.

I managed 50 minutes into the first hour of the Bones. 'Twas more than enough.

Am semi-curious, though. Did the story end with the deceased wife somehow finishing off the last sentence of his WIP novel? You know, like she supposedly used to do in "real" life?

*_*

Awful, awful adaptation last night! I switched over to Family Guy before the end of part 1.

I think some of SK's books translated well to the screen, e.g. Carrie, Cujo, It, and Salem's Lot, and (though not my personal favorite) The Stand. When I read Needful Things, I got the impression he wrote it with a screenplay already in mind.--it just had that "feel." His earlier stuff I adore; his newer, not so much. Waaaay too long, and for no good reason other than it's SK and he is allowed.

Last night's Bag of Bones sucked. Aside from being miscast and poorly edited (IMO, of course) it wasn't all that interesting.

Let's not forget The Shining. I'm with Jena; most are done well. I'm thinking the production is at fault here, not SK.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Oh, yeah!

I liked some of his early stuff but threw Pet Semetary against a wall and haven't read anything of his since.

Stand By Me was the flick I was most impressed with that was based on his work.