HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    'Twas before your time, young jayce:

http://www.elyrics.net/read/b/burt-b...ie-lyrics.html

*_*

Baron, I agree that the great majority of self-published writers never make a dime…well, maybe a buck or two, but my point is if you could make it the agent/publisher route, you can make it the self-published route, and make more money in most cases. That is, IF you make any money at all by selling more than a book a month. Amazon is the reason, and if Amazon ever goes away, then self-publishing will too (as I know it), unless another company becomes a giant and provides the same opportunities Amazon has. As for becoming a big brand name writer through an agent and New York publisher, the odds are MUCH more against you there than making $2,000 to $10,000 a month self-publishing.

Keep in mind that less than one percent of Americans are ever self-employed, but I have not had a “job” since the early seventies and retired in my fifties after owning a small business all my life. So I am one who has always chosen the road less traveled. Self-publishing is just another way of being self-employed. In 2008 when I first started studying fiction writing, I had never even used a computer or been online, so I had a lot to learn. In 2010, I published my first two books through CS and KDP after submitting to a few agents. The more I learned about the publishing industry, the less I liked. They consider the writer to be the least important part of the industry and treat you with that attitude. I am used to having full control over my future, especially when it comes to making money. It did not take me long to get enough of agents. They live in a different world than I do. Thanks to Amazon, it’s just you, your writing, and the reading public. If you can write a few books and develop a fan base over time, you will make money. After four or five books, you just keep writing about two books a year. I have two series, and want to have at least two more started in a year or so. My only trouble is writing enough books, as I would love to publish four or even six a year. Most self-published writers say to promote, but I have not had the time. For me, writing more books makes more sense because my books are selling with no promotion.

My only trouble is writing enough books, as I would love to publish four or even six a year.
    Bring a few writers into your "brand", the way James Patterson does.

You write a fine testimonial, James. And it's quite obvious your salesmanship leaves little to be desired. Your energy is admirable. Combine those qualities with a knack for telling a story, and your success is understandable, if possibly, a smidge overstated.

Good on ya', as my Oddsie friends might say. ;)

So are you married, James?

*_*

I sold 221 Kindle copies in the last two days and dozens of paperbacks. This does not include the UK and Germany. $2450 in 13 days.

If you can write, you do not need agents or publishers. If you cannot write, no agent or publisher can help you.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Foyle View Post
    So are you married, James?

*_*
    I was, but I killed her. Now I'm looking for number eight.

If you can write, you do not need agents or publishers. If you cannot write, no agent or publisher can help you.

If you build it, he will come.

Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post

If you build it, he will come.
    There is no guarantee you will make a dime as a writer, but if your books are not selling, it will be more constructive to blame your writing. In the last five months, my sales have gone way up every month. Last month was $3,300, this month looks like $6,000. I just published a sequel two weeks ago. Book #3 in the series will add another $4,000 or $5,000 a month. Each book not only adds its own sales, but increases the older books' sales too. One thing for sure, wasting hours a day on WN is not going to get anyone anywhere. I do not check this site for months at a time. The time between the last time I posted here months ago and recently, I wrote my last novel. I will be back a couple weeks after my next one is published.

By the way, I built my first house myself many decades ago, maybe I should have just posted here and whined about how no one would build me a house (if WN was around back then). Do you think WN's ambiance would have helped me build that house? If I read every post here, would I become a better writer? No, it would be just a waste of time reading posts about how Republicans are evil and Democrats are all saints on the CT forum and how my writing stinks according to posters who have not made a dime as a writer, but they are experts. Why? Because they say so.

I wonder whatever happened to Daffy Don... for some reason, I'm reminded of him.