HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Well, from what I can tell they all retail at around $20 or more with the exception of a few older ones. But then on Amazon you have all those weird sale prices listed next to the retail price that the publisher has no control over. I can tell you that the two that have come out in the last 5 years are all closer to $25 as paperbacks. I once paid close to $40 for an improv book.

I also have to consider that yes, my target audience is college guys with no money...but how are they with charging stuff they want? Pretty good, right? Anything under $20 seems like nothing compared to the $60 they'll pay for Madden '12 or Final Fantasy XV on the X-Box.

I also think there's a different between nonfiction and instructional nonfiction. Those "...for Dummies" books all have an original retail at $20.00-ish.

Thank you for all of your opinions and suggestions, I appreciate it. I think I'm going to stick with $15.95 or $16.95 online and then $20 (autographed of course) at my shows.

but how are they with charging stuff they want?

Great, if you're talking about clubs (especially strip clubs).

A book they aren't required to read for a college class? I don't know. It's hard for me to picture "college guys" spending much money on that. It's one thing to go to a club, and another to sit and read a comedy book.

If you set a lower price you may sell more books.

Why aren't you setting this book up from the cost of producing it rather than on the price of other books in the field (especially unless you have some knowledge that the other books are selling at those prices)? I'm afraid the cost of similar print books in the field mean nothing if those books have been in the market for more than a year. The e-book revolution is busting the print market--especially for self-published books. What's a couple of bucks above your production and advertising costs? That's the market price to use in a discussion--and buyers most likely aren't going to be wild about that price either. But it's a price you could use to sell to an audience you've already physically just performed or spoken to. I'd suggest producing some print copies for this purpose but putting it out as a $2.99 e-book and planning on most of your profit being from those sales.

Thanks Gary, I went to a small seminar about ebooks and I think CreateSpace converts it over for $68 or something like that (not bad if they take care of EVERYTHING). I wish there was a little future-showing line graph that would show how big of a numbers shift would be based on what prices I set. (I took Econ 200 about 13 years ago). I'll set my price at just over $15 online, $20 at shows, and then go cheap on the ebooks like you suggested. I can always lower the online price a few months down the road. I've got a few good promotional things coming up (newspapers and shows) plus 1000+ facebook friends so I'll have a solid start to at least pay for my editor and some other bills.
    I know ebooks are taking off, I just wonder if mine will be part of that trend.

Thanks everyone