HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do I set a price for my book?

In two weeks my nonfiction book, Don't Wear Shorts on Stage...The Stand-up Guide to Comedy comes out. Other comedy books are retailing over $20.00 but mine is a bit shorter (around 150-165 pages). It's paperback and though I'm comfortable selling it at $20 after my shows, Is $15.95 more appropriate for online sales? Is this one of those things where I should be leaning towards number sold vs. my profits? My main target audience (guys in their 20's) are pretty poor, but also like to spend money.

Your thoughts...

Is $15.95 more appropriate for online sales?
    I would say yes. If your main target is "pretty poor," you'd be doing the right thing, IMO. Considerate, thoughtful guys always win...eventually.

Good luck!

*_*

The only way I would pay that much for a paperback is if it's part of series from one of my favorite authors, and it's one of those bigger and prettier paperbacks. But really, at that price, I expect the book to be a hardcover. Normally, I won't pay more than $8.99 for a paperback, and even at that cheaper price, it better be a purty durn good story.

Not that I don't wish you luck Rob, because I do. I guess one of the things you need to consider when setting your price is this: how well has your competition's books sold when set at such a high price.

Isn't it different for instructional nonfiction though? I understand fiction and such, but I had comics telling me I could charge $30 (I won't) for this type of information. I've decided on $16.95 for the first few months off the internet, $20 after my shows (people don't mind overpaying after shows, it's like a tip when I sell my t-shirts too), and then in a few months I'll lower the price.

You can charge whatever you like. It's a matter of who'll pay that particular price.

I just went through a few of my paperback, non-fiction titles. I did spend 14.99 on "Why Some Writers Deserve to Starve" (250-ish pages)(I probably needed a good laugh at the time). The NF titles I have under 200 pgs are only 7 or 8 bucks.

I hope you sell a million of 'em, but I have to tell you that I wouldn't pay $17 for it.

Then again, I'm not a comic, so what the hell do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post

Then again, I'm not a comic, so what the hell do I know?
    Oh bull - I think you're funny as hell, leslee!!
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Nah, she's FUNNER than hell!

Thank you! You've been a beautiful audience! I'm here all week!

Rob, I agree that fans will probably pay any price you charge when they purchase your book right after a show. But I would suggest doing a little research to find out what price other 'comic' books are selling for when sold elsewhere.