HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar or disimilar?

Opposites attract but do likes repel? I recently begun a story and I was considering making the characters have similar taste. What's your take? Everyone's probably all seen The Odd Couple. Opposites make for great conflict, so does the same thing work with similarity?

Debbi Voisey
    They do say (whoever "They" are always have a lot to bloody say, don't they?!) that people who are too similar will drive each other mad, or you hear that people are always arguing because they are so alike.... usually when they are stubborn.

But at the same time, I think you need a spark of something to make a relationship work, and that could be either or... You might thrive on the conflict of being different, or relish the similarities you have with someone. Each to their own.

LOL.... not very helpful I know, but it's almost the end of my working day and I am thinking of going home.

By the way, it is spelled "dissimilar".... two esses. And you should say "I recently BEGAN a story" or "I HAVE recently BEGUN" .... not what you said. Sayin' s'all You might say you were just knocking out a quick post and that's why the errors occurred, but I always think it's worth mentioning, because if you really believe your post to be correct then you need to iron those creases out of your writing.

Best of luck

Debbi

Debbi

I agree with Debbi Debbi.

*_*

You so funny, Kitty.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Any two people can have conflict. All you have to do is write it believably.

Robin Teeter
    Most characters are compatible because they share commonalities.

Generally speaking, if you're talking about romance or an adult relationship, what works best -- and leaves the reader convinced these two people belong together -- is that they compliment each other. One supplies what the other lacks, or offers a balance, or however you want to state it. Opposites CAN work, as long as their opposites don't put them into strong conflict. It's one thing to be mildly irritated that the guy you're in love with pinches pennies until Lincoln screams while you believe in spending it; it's quite another thing to be a vocal progressive politically and try to match yourself with a staunch conservative. (Yes, I know there are cases where it's worked, but they're rare and require a great deal of work or immense diplomatic skills from both.)

People who are similar in nature can get along, but it depends on what type of personalities they have. A couple of times in my life I have started friendships with other females who were like me. In fact, with my first such friend in 5th grade, both our mothers couldn't get over how much alike we were. Anyway, the friendship starts out great because we have so many similar likes and dislikes. But gradually, because we were two very dominant females who refuse to let anyone else tell us what to do, we start to have little skirmishes over who should be the leader and who should be the follower, with neither of us accepting the submissive role, then it grows into all-out fights and finally, the friendship tears apart.

This happened often enough that I learned I can maintain a friendship with another woman who is strong, as long as she doesn't always want to be in charge. In other words, someone who isn't like me.

But gradually, because we were two very dominant females who refuse to let anyone else tell us what to do, we start to have little skirmishes over who should be the leader and who should be the follower, with neither of us accepting the submissive role, then it grows into all-out fights and finally, the friendship tears apart.
    Lea, other than the fact that you're a bull-headed Taurus, are you a first born? And was your friend? 'Tis a theory, but nevertheless: "Does birth order make or break a relationship?"

From: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20035297.shtml

"TWO FIRST BORNS:

Two people who want to be in control and be kind of the runner of the show, they may not always blend so well," Hartstein says. "The thing that they have to do is really look at what the strengths are in the other person that they may not have, use those, and find other times away from each other to explore their positive options."

Here's an interesting married couple. I wonder how it comes out in the wash for them, birth order-wise:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...-marriage.html

*_*

I am a middle child married to an only child. Let me just say that life has been interesting. :-)