HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Devon - I'm going to have to disagree with Gary on the phone number bit. I read a lot of agent blogs and submission guidelines and the one specific thing that sticks out in my mind that agents complain about is that people DO NOT put there telephone numbers in their Qs. But, that's up to you. If you read each agents specific guidelines, they will tell you what they want to see. Let that be your guide.

Below I've cut and pasted from an agency website:

Our agency receives hundreds of query letters each month and though all get read, only the most compelling are given serious consideration. It is a daunting exercise for a writer to condense an entire book into just a few short paragraphs. However, as most agents will not look at unsolicited materials, a query letter is the most important tool a new author has for selling his or her book. Below you'll find 10 general tips on query letters from this agency's perspective:

Tip#8. Author's contact information, including email address and phone number, should be included.
    Last edited by Avonne Writer; 11-12-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Which agency? Agencies come in all sizes and ranges of professionalism and experience.

Plenty of writers are contacted by telephone. Include your phone number. It's a non-issue.
    Last edited by leslee; 11-13-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post
    Plenty of writers are contacted by telephone.
    Yeah, I was. Back in the 90s, a well-known NY agent left a message on my answering machine saying she wanted to represent me. I was so thrilled, I taped it for all posterity.

Of course, when the project eventually came to naught, I junked her message.

*_*

I agree: Include your phone number. I'll never forget when I got that call myself.

Contact information (phone, email, etc.) is best put in the letter head or following the closing signature, not in the body of the letter. The agent will know what it is.

Well, I'd beware of an eager agent signaling by phone call on the basis of a query letter from an unpublished author. Most things that look too good to be true, aren't.

Hopefully you're vetting your agents beforehand so you won't run into one of those eager beavers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    Hopefully you're vetting your agents beforehand so you won't run into one of those eager beavers.
    A "hope" that doesn't seem to get honored much.

Every agent I queried, after thoroughly researching them, requested a phone number be included, along with email and address information. Almost all of them were very well known agents and agencies. I put it under my signature. I don't understand why you think there's something wrong with that, Gary.