HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Writing Exercises

While I am taking a very long break from my book, I am doing writing exercises to also help improve my writing. While reading Gregor the Overlander, I am reading the paragraphs carefully and taking the format of those paragraphs to write my own sentences in my own topics. I was just wondering if I could post a couple for feedback.

This is an open forum. No one has to ask permission to post. So, yes, feel free.

MUST MY OPINION, FEEL FREE TO IGNORE:

You can do what you want. But posting your "homework" for feedback is not the best idea, given the conversations we've had recently about your work.

How about if you just try writing without looking for approval or comments for a while - say the rest of 2011? Take at least that much time to read, study, write and improve without showing it to anyone - unless you've joined a writing class and sharing is part of your class. Otherwise, just do the work and keep it to yourself.

At this point, posting it here is no different from what you've been doing all along.

But, as Jayce says, you can post as you please. I'm sure others will give you feedback.
    Last edited by leslee; 11-11-2011 at 12:09 PM.

@Leslee Okay. I will probably wait another month before posting my writing exercises. Usually, I'm a very slow reader, but I've just started reading Gregor the Overlander two nights ago and I'm already on the 91st page. I probably tend to read faster on a kindle than on a print book. But I think it's also because I am enjoying the book. Of course, barely any of the writing style has been processed in my mind and I am far from ready to write again. So yes, I will still need to read 99 more books before I am ready to write again. I think you're right that the writing exercises probably won't be too different from what my writing skills are at right now.

Visiting Tralfamadore
    You need to comprehend what you're reading and then be able to make some sense of what you've read. If you're not retaining much of what you've read, I can almost assure you that when you post something for others to critique, they'll pick up on any areas you're excluding.

Writing style comes from years of not only reading but writing as well. Yours is as individual as you are.

Writing exercises may help you with any grammar issues/syntax errors, but if you're distracted with other projects or assignments, you'll do yourself a huge favor by slowing your pace to a point where you can analyze your own weaknesses and then work on ways to improve them.

Asking other writers for opinions is a good indication that you are dedicated and even when their opinions may be conflictive, take the time to completely digest them before you ask the same questions at a later date.

Yeah, that makes sense.