HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Why You Should Proofread

http://news.yahoo.com/colonel-sander...201211341.html

Here's a good example of why we always encourage writers to read their work before posting.

This person is a professional writer. Look at the mistake he/she made, and the comments from readers. EVERYBODY caught it but the writer and probably a proofreader.

Sounds like an interesting book, BTW.

"Flower" instead of "flour" is exactly the kind of mistake I tend to make. I wrote "rack" instead of "wrack" (as in "wrack my brain") in a published work and nobody caught that one, either.

I notice online articles are often riddled with mistakes.

Actually, in the Deep South during the Depression years, the wheat flower was considered a delicacy. Unfortunately, DDT eradicated the insect that cross-pollinated the strain, so.....

Just thought I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OonDPGwAyfQ

Sadly, I've read some English comp papers with similar mistakes.

Jeanne

Ah hell, it ain't no big.

Fer supper I ground a flower into flour. Sifted it over a rack of lamb. Cooked it up. After a whall, I had me a rack of wrack. (As in wrack and ruin.)

Cur

KFC? Ain't they the bums who bash their chickens against the wall or something?

http://www.thenazareneway.com/kfc_an...uelty_case.htm

*_*

That sort of literary brain cramp is on display on every other page of most newspapers these days. None of them hire proofreaders or have a re-write desk any more and every new journo these days was weaned on spellcheck.

It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Foyle View Post
    KFC? Ain't they the bums who bash their chickens against the wall or something?

http://www.thenazareneway.com/kfc_an...uelty_case.htm

*_*
    Jeez, Kitty. You have to kill them SOME way. What do you expect--a nice, peaceful dose of propofol for each little birdie?

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    Jeez, Kitty. You have to kill them SOME way. What do you expect--a nice, peaceful dose of propofol for each little birdie?
    Hey, boobie, you talkin' to me? I hate to (but will) kill mosquitoes.

Several years ago I sent an E to Nature's Place (Stop&Shop) asking how they do in their chicks, and got this reply. Will leave out the guy's name, but I'll assume it's okay to quote him "for informational purposes."

"Thank you for your inquiry about our chickens. I am responsible for raising our chickens and for delivering them to our processing plants. Please be assured that our chickens are never treated in the manner that you saw on the TV. All of our rearing procedures for these chickens have been approved by the American Humane Association and have the Free Farmed logo of the American Humane Association on the package.

This approval by the American Humane Association also applies to the rearing, catching, transportation, and humane slaughter of the birds. Our birds are caught by our company employees, placed on company owned trucks, and transported to the processing plant. At the plant, the birds are held in special receiving shelters that are cooled and protected from the weather from 30 minutes to 1-2 hours. These birds are checked often by our plant animal welfare personnel to ensure their well-being.

At processing time, the birds are moved to a darkened room with blue lights to ensure that they remain calm and are placed on a line for slaughter. Within a few seconds, they are wetted with a saline solution, given an electrical shock to induce insensibility, and then have the carotid arteries severed which causes death while they are insensible. These procedures are inspected frequently by our plant animal welfare people. Also these procedures have been approved by the American Humane Association and our facilities, (growing and slaughter) have been recently audited by third party auditors of the American Humane Association. All of our facilities successfully passed this audit.

We share your concern about the treatment of the birds in the video. Because of our concern for the welfare of our birds, several years ago, we became the first Poultry Company to receive the approval of the American Humane Association for the rearing and slaughtering of our birds. We are very proud of this achievement and with this approval, with our in-house auditing procedures, and with our hands on daily care you can be assured that the Nature's Place chicken that you buy has always been treated humanely."

(P.S. I don't eat chicken anymore, anyway.)

*_*

I'm trying to figure out what that has to do with proofreading.