HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should I say my book has been published or unpublished?

I have a book on the market called Alyssa's African Adventures, about the same girl (although now I changed her last name to McCarthy), except she lives in an orphanage and gets the power to talk to animals. Then she goes to Africa and travels with animals. My book was actually based off of that. But I have changed almost everything. The only things I kept were the time setting, most of the MC's physical attributes, some of the basic details about her (i.e. her date of birth), and that she goes to Africa. But everything else is changed. Now she just goes on a quest to find a charmed necklace that will sense out any threats that she must defeat. I'm not sure if I should say whether it's been published or not. The title is The African Adventures of Alyssa McCarthy. I am planning on self-publishing it again, and someone on Yahoo Answers who seemed to be an expert in publishing (she answered my other publishing questions in a professional manner) said that if I self-publish it again, it shouldn't cause any problems. But I am not sure.

Self-published is the answer you're looking for. And why would you publish it twice? Is it an ebook, or did you have it actually printed out?

I haven't been able to take it off the market yet. The contract for the company was non-exclusive and could be cancelled at any time, because it was POD. The reason I want to publish it again is because the new version is more likely to be a better sell and more likely to appeal to older kids. I've been getting invoices that my current book has not sold even one copy. I don't even think anyone I don't know personally has heard of it. But with almost everything changed, I don't know if I should say it's published or unpublished.

Sunayna,

In what context does your question refer to? If you're looking to send out QLs then I would leave out the self-published bit. But that can't be it because you say your self-publishing again. Either way, you shouldn't say you are 'published' because this implies using the traditional sense of having a standard publisher, not a POD. POD is not publishing, it's paying someone to print your book for you.

Not sure if that helps.

DK

I'm confused (as usual). Do you know what this book(s) is supposed to be about? I ask because I spent 2 years trying to write a young character into various plots that just didn't work (The Last Summer). I twisted the thing like a Rubick's cube and couldn't put it together. Leslee gently suggested that it might be my book and not the QL's that were being rejected. I scrapped the whole mess. Maybe you should bail out.

What do you mean by bail out?

Oh brother.

Back to the original question. The answer is simple. The book HAS BEEN published. So, if you say it hasn't been, that would be a lie.

Okay then. It has been published.

So if the main character and time setting are kept the same, even if almost everything else has been changed, it has been published.