HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The uncle is actually not my MC. My MC is a twelve-year-old girl, who's his niece. I said all the things he does to his daughter and niece in my last post. He forces them to eat food they don't like, he pulled them out of things they enjoyed, and he yells at them constantly. The girls are miserable, but they have to deal with it.

In a world where the imagination is relentless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunayna Prasad View Post
    The uncle is actually not my MC. My MC is a twelve-year-old girl, who's his niece. I said all the things he does to his daughter and niece in my last post. He forces them to eat food they don't like, he pulled them out of things they enjoyed, and he yells at them constantly. The girls are miserable, but they have to deal with it.
    Ah, my mistake - I misinterpreted.

What does the uncle feed them all the time that they don't like - liver? I suppose if you want to create a new angle on why someone is a bad parent or guardian that could be your hook. But I honestly don't know what he could feed them on a constant basis that would be termed "mean." Unless he feeds them tree leaves and grass clippings. Or dog food. But if you're talking about broccoli, pizza with little fishes on it, and meatloaf, then just because they don't like it doesn't make it mean.

Honestly, the uncle spending all the money on himself and letting the girls go hungry would be meaner than simply feeding them food they don't like. My mother fed me food I didn't like, but it wasn't to be mean. Unfortunately, she believed that eating pizza every night was not a good thing, even though it was what I liked.

I can understand someone's personality changing after losing a loved one, but it's usually due to depression. What you're talking about with the uncle is sadism and low level torture, and that is something that is usually present in a person even before a personal loss.
    Last edited by Lea Zalas; 11-06-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Robin Teeter
    JUST MY OPINION...I haven't read anything you've written prior to this post.

The uncle is an alcoholic who is raising two nieces on his own. If he's recently lost his spouse, he'd be grieving her death and he'd also be resentful. Everybody experiences grief/loss differently. Some may be angry. Some are sad. Lots of alcoholics are bipolar and they become verbally, emotionally, physically and financially unstable.

Insofar as him being mean to the girls, he'd yell at them, nitpick their faults or mistakes, and he'd not allow them to engage with other children or adults. By controlling them, he's receiving a sense of satisfaction.

The two girls are co-dependent; check with Al-Anon groups or other support agencies which offer assistance and counseling to addicts and their families.

The uncle has one niece, which is my MC. The other is his daughter. He is no longer a alcoholic, but the girls just have to deal with his toughness. They don't check with any agencies in the beginning.

Robin Teeter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunayna Prasad View Post
    The uncle has one niece, which is my MC. The other is his daughter. He is no longer a alcoholic, but the girls just have to deal with his toughness. They don't check with any agencies in the beginning.
    Whatever, sweetie. I'll not waste my time any more. It's your story. You can show and tell it to anybody but it won't be read unless you've made it interesting and realistic, and this includes your characters.

Good luck.

@Robin Teeter Sorry if I sounded offensive. I thought I was just saying what really happens in my story.

Having an alcoholic character isn't against the rules in a MG novel. It's how you present it. Just sayin'...

I think Robin was simply suggesting that you, Sunayna, check with Al-Anon to do a little research on common personality traits of an alcoholic. That may help you develop the storyline in a more realistic fashion.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Okay. My mistake for misunderstanding.