HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Wondering What To Buy This Time

Time to buy new screenwriting software. Deciding between MMS and FD.

Both have their good and bad points.

If you write screenplays, what program do you use and how do you like it?

I'm on Windows, by the way.

My two cents (for you, free): My only experience has been with word processors (which is why I'm not charging you for this). It seems to me that the primary function the software has to perform is formatting; and the lesser goal is production-type stuff—breakdown sheets, revision color coding—things that a screenwriter initially has little or no concern with. So I would look for simplicity of controlling the format itself. Price I would put last, this being a once-in-a-while purchase that can have a big impact on productivity.

(I'm sure you've considered this stuff already. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say, those with hands-on experience.)

I think it is really is necessary to have a software package for screenplays. They're incredibly helpful. I have screenwriter friends who use FD, but my experience is with MMS. I know I'm buying one or the other. FD claims to be the "industry standard," but either one is acceptable. Price wise, there's no big difference. I just know I'm only buying one, not two, so I have to make a decision.

One thing I like about MMS is how easy it seems to be to import a document from Word to MMS and format it. It's cool. I have a bunch of stuff in Word that I want to import.

http://www.learnmoviemagicscreenwrit...-a-script.html

Thank you for the two cent freebee, Jayce. I appreciate it.

Hey leslee,

I have both and use both depending upon which the producer I'm working with has or prefers. I used to always use screenwriter for my specs, but for some reason I started my latest one in Final Draft. I haven't upgraded to the newest version of either, so I don't know how they stack up when it comes to the bells and whistles they've added.

It's easy to import word docs into either program - just save a word doc as an rtf file and Final Draft can read it. But beware because both Screenwriter and Final Draft have glitches when they import and they tend to randomly screw up the formatting here and there - so you'll need to proof carefully no matter which one you get.

You may be able to download trial versions to see which one you find more user friendly. Another option is Celtx which is free.

Thanks, Simon. I was hoping you'd turn up and see my post.

I decided on Final Draft and bought it today. I got a very nice holiday package deal that included a lot of other interesting downloads as well. Looking forward to learning a new program.