HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I didn't think it was.

Having been around a few million message board posts the past decade or so, I can say, unequivocally, the OP's posts can be viewed via a number of perspectives -- one of them, possibly correct.

Hi Sunyana,

What do you actually want to achieve from renting a space and giving your book to people?

If you just want people to read it - consider using a site like inkpop - it's for teens, and there seems to be a strong community there where people read each others' books. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's free. Just put "No harsh critique, please" in your description.

If you want to know if it's publishable - then please don't be upset - but from what I've read of the excerpts, I don't think it is yet. This is just my opinion, but I feel like you had a lot of good comments on scene structure and character development from a lot of people here, and you need to spend some time working those comments through the rest of your writing. From what you posted, it was clear that you were applying comments as you received them, to very specific parts of the book. You need to distill what people suggest into basic ideas - and apply them to the rest of your writing, which will be a lot of work.

Again - I think inkpop would suit you very well. It's specifically for teens, so you'd be critiqued by your peers, and you can read what other teens are writing, too. Don't go out and spend lots of money on something unless you have a very clear idea of your goals - with any monetary investment you should always have a clear set of outcomes you hope to acheive, and a way to measure them.

Good luck!

@Emily MacGowan What excerpts have you read? The most recent ones from my fifth draft or the earlier ones from my second draft? The reason I didn't like the idea of using an online site was because people's comments can take forever to never come. Even the views can't tell you if someone liked or disliked your story. I even read other people's stories and commented on them. But they only responded to my comments. I know my book so far isn't of publishable quality which was why I told a professional editor that I submitted to that I would like to work on areas I am weak on. They all have at least ten years of writing experience, but she said that my narrative voice was engaging and that she only thought I needed proofreading and sentence structure. I am not trying to defend my book. I know it needs more work and I planned at least one or two more drafts before I can consider publishing it. I still like the idea of giving my book to a librarian or to my cousins who would pass it to their friends.

How much is your professional editor charging you?

Sunayna, I know several authors in their twenties who are very successful. They do not pay others to edit their work. This is something you need to learn to do yourself. College English classes, creative writing classes, reading a LOT in your genre, your own research, etc.

she said that my narrative voice was engaging and that she only thought I needed proofreading and sentence structure

If this is what you got from your paid professional editor, you should ask for your money back.

Please take Jena's advice. It is infinitely better, and free!

I actually decided to do that. But I'll have to ask if it's possible. A lot of articles online say that ALL writers, whether experienced or not, need professional editors. I would still like it professionally edited. But maybe I could take those suggestions.

A lot of articles online say that ALL writers, whether experienced or not, need professional editors.
    Any article that says ALL writers need to hire a professional editor was probably written by a self-serving professional editor. It is Simply. Not. True.

It's different once your work has been accepted. When you sign with a publishing house, they provide a professional editor at no cost to the author. Of course the only way to get to that point is to write something a publisher will be interested in, and to write it well.

BTW, the editor at a publishing house doesn't rewrite your work. He/she tells YOU what needs to be done, and it's up to you to do it.

Well I still want my work edited. Things that may sound clear to me may NOT sound clear to others. My mom did submit another one of my stories to a professional editor, because she knew someone who knew someone, who knew the editor. And the editor was free. I will try to get out of that editing service I submitted my book to. But how am I supposed to tell them without hurting their feelings?