HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Novel-writing software?

I've searched through WN and I know this has cropped up before, but not for a few years. I get the impression that experienced writers do not need the structure of a novel-writing package, but do you think the software available these days has improved at all? Do you think it helps to keep a novice writer on the right track?

I've downloaded a free (limited) version of 'mynovel' which keeps all your WIP, notes for each chapter, character details, internet links and plot notes in one document (I know it can't do anything to improve the raw materials).

I find it tricky to get back into my story when I have a day off after working three shifts in a row and the idea of having everything there to prompt me when I fire up the computer is very appealing.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

I've never tried any of it. Any that gave organizational structure support only (as you indicated with "mynovel") would seem to be helpful. Any that give plot formulas--or guide you to them--or in any other way impede or attempt to "enhance" or substitute for the creative process would get the thumbs down from me.

I agree with Gary. Anything that helps you organize your thoughts is okay, be it a computer program or a stack of 3x5 cards. But if it's software that "develops characters", or "analyzes story lines", or "polishes your prose style", I'd save my money. And my prose.

Thank you. It does seem to have a button to 'generate ideas', but it just brings up a list of random words or news stories to inspire the writer. It is neither helpful nor distracting. I like how it saves character notes which you can click on to refer to whilst you are writing.

I'd love to have a board where I could write notes or cards for plot lines, etc, but the children would have those in two seconds flat.

Thanks for your advice!