HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yikes! Nobody here....really??

Ahem, okay, I suppose I will start then. As I mentioned in the "Unpublished Writers" thread, I think I will change the genre of my book to Non-fiction. You'd have to read it to see how that is possible (without changing one thing about it).

I was sort of hoping to get some very sage advice here. Alas, it seems that I am on my own.

Hey, maybe I will just talk to myself.

Re: Yikes! Nobody here....really??

I saged* in your other thread.

* As a professional, I am allowed to verbify nouns. Please - don't try this at home.

Haha, I like it! I make up words from time to time. I have just afforded myself the liberty.

I can't wait to hear more of your sage advice, once I trip over more questions I did not know I had. Thanks!

What kind of non-fiction do most people write? Is it biz related articles and stuff like that ? (e.g. writing for trade journals)

I wrote (primarily) outdoor-related articles and humourous essays for newspapers and magazines.

imported_Marcia Friedman

My book is a non-fiction, motivational, self help, memoir for seniors ages 50+ .
    Writing the book was a very rewarding experience. It helped me find myself and gave me a path to help others. Getting it published was horrid. Llumina Press in Fla. took me for quite a ride with promises, but no follow up action.
    I lost close to $1500 on that deal,( including their editing). Since there aren't any regulatory agencies to oversee Print on Demand publishers, they get away with it. I'm in Calif. and they are in Fla. That's the good bad and ugly of across the country internet purchases.
    After contacting writing organizations, Preditors and Editors, legal entities in Fla. and Calif. and suffering the stresses of no help available there, I found Booklocker.com Within 6 weeks my book was published--for much less money than charged by Llumina Press.
    So next is marketing. For the new author, with a first child AKA first book, this journey has been full of potholes! The cost to hire a professional marketing company is outrageous. I do have as trust problem after a year of fighting for my rights to get the book published and finding no help to guide me. So I'm plugging along with a Press Release and sending it one at a time to various newspapers, senior centers, etc.
    Newbie authors really do need mentors to travel through the ins and outs of publishing. Writing this message is the best I can do for a newbie. I still need help.
    Some people answer blogs with criticism instead of guides on how to solve expressed problems. " If you don't have anything nice to say, look in the mirror and speak your advice to that image!"
    Marcia
    www.agingisafulltimejob.com

Marcia, I wish I could say your case is unique. Alas, many thousands of newbie writers have fallen prey to the sharks that abound in publishing's waters.

The information on recognizing and avoiding them is out there. I wish more writers spent a few hours researching before entrusting their "babies" (not to mention the contents of their bank accounts) to these weasels.

And don't, for gawd's sake, throw any money at marketers. Anyone who promises to attract buyers for a self-pubbed book is blowing smoke out their ass.

I don't know Frank.

If a person cuts his wrists and jumps into shark infested waters, should we blame the sharks?

Isn't there some biblical saying about this, Marcia?

"A wise man learns by the experience of others; a fool, by his own."

Perhaps all these "sharks" are doing a service, gobbling up the slow swimmers so that agent desks aren't quite so thick with them.

You surprise me, CK.

Does a woman who leaves a purse unattended for a moment deserve to have it stolen?

Does a person unfamiliar with a new city deserve to be mugged if she makes a wrong turn into the bad side of town?

Nobody deserves to be cheated or robbed, even if some people may benefit from it.

Frank,

I don't see this as a question of how "deserving" a person is. I see this as a question of how foolish or wise a person is.

The information on pay-to-publish operations is widely available. In other words, the experience of others is accessible. I have no idea if Marcia deserves to have avoided these traps. It does appear that she did not take steps that would lead to an expectation of avoiding these traps.

I suppose if we were to apply your unattended purse analogy, we'd have to have a woman enter an establishment she knew nothing about, fail to look up and notice all the signs that declared that purse snatchers frequented the place and all the whispered warnings from other women who'd had purses snatched. Perhaps this woman does not deserve to have her unattended purse stolen, but she certainly has no expectation that an unattended purse will not be stolen.

To put herself in this pickle, she had to enter with earplugs and blinders. What sort of folks enter an unfamiliar establishment with earplugs and blinders? I propose it's the sort of folks who'd rather not know. Their expectation of learning without experiencing loss personally is pretty slim -- by their own making.

One hopes that these folks can, at least, learn from their own mistakes. But in the meantime, they've been out competed by their wiser fellows.