HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KyAuna Alonzo

Questions about my Writing Future...

I have been writing my entire life and have never been so deturmined to get published as I have this last three years, though I would really like to know how do I seperate myself from selfpublishing? I can not afford to do that right now, I would be homeless if my family hadnt scooped me up and saved me. I know that the first thing I need to do is find an agent that is as passionate about my work as I am, but then do I find the publisher after that or do they? When you hire an agent do you pay them now or after the book is published? The book I have almost finished is my baby, my masterpiece this far into my life anyway. How do I find an angent that is just as passionate about my book as I am?

It's the agent's job to guide your book to an appropriate publisher. (They most likely won't take your book on unless they have a good idea what publisher(s) would contract it). The agent's fee comes out of the advance/royalties you get from the publisher for the book. Most publishers don't charge anything up front. A few reputable ones are now charging copying and mailing fees, but this is still generally frowned on. If an agent wants to charge you anything--including an editorial fee (or guides you to an editor they know who can "fix" your manuscript up for a fee), be very wary of them.

There are articles linked to the "Agents" page at this website (on the right margin of that page) that will help you in what you need to know about getting a good agent.

For more sweeping discusison on getting published, feel free to the coauthored, free-use site (one of Writer Digests 101 best sites) I've put up to help people like you "find go" in getting published. http://www.publishingquestions.com.
    Last edited by Gary Kessler; 10-18-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Traditionally, you first find the agent, usually through a query letter. Your agent finds an interested publisher and secures a publishing contract. The publisher—at his expense—produces, markets, and distributes the book; the publisher also pays a royalty to you, from which the agent deducts a commission. (Notice that no where in this process do you pay anything to anyone.)

A good on-line source for agent stuff--and query writing, too--is AgentQuery. Also, you can verify an agent's bona fides at Writer Beware and Preditors & Editors. Refer to each agent's website for submission instructions; they are not all the same.

Query widely and simultaneously. Avoid exclusives.

Don't pay anyone to represent, edit, or publish your work.

You have a lot to learn. Hope this gets you started. Good luck.

I'd suggest you work on your spelling and other basics before submitting your baby to an agent.

It also helps to stop thinking of your manuscript as a product instead of as your "baby."

Yet another one trick pony?

*_*

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    It also helps to stop thinking of your manuscript as a product instead of as your "baby."
    Presume you meant "start" rather than "stop."

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kessler View Post
    Presume you meant "start" rather than "stop."
    Yes, I meant to say: It also helps to START thinking of your manuscript as a product instead of as your "baby."

Sorry. I'm on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    Yes, I meant to say: It also helps to START thinking of your manuscript as a product instead of as your "baby."

Sorry. I'm on drugs.
    Hey, it's not the drugs, Jean....it's good ol', come-to-our-rescue Mercury Retrograde! Ain't it great? For the next nearly three weeks we can put the blame on ITS shoulders.

*_*

That. Is. AWESOME!