HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Competing with a published nonfiction book similar to mine

I've finished writing my book Don't Wear Shorts on Stage which is a Q&A covering everything in stand-up comedy except joke writing technique. I thought I had a unique angle on this because no bookstore had anything like it. Turns out Zen and the Art of Stand-up Comedy is very similar along with a couple other ones who publishers picked up a few years ago. Am I screwed? Are all of my reviews going to start out with "Yet another..." or do I still have a chance? I'm trying to be optimistic by saying all of my connections in the comedy business will help promote me vs. publishers who usually don't do much, but I can't help but feel like after selling to friends and family I'll hit a ceiling around 100 books and be done. Has anyone else suffered or overcome this problem?

Have not suffered or overcome that problem, but my first reaction was that you will probably be informed in no uncertain terms by at least one queried agent that another book on this subject will be a hard sell, if that's the case. Stick it out and see what happens is my suggestion.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Thanks--after talking with a number of people I'm self publishing for sure. My target audience will be easier for me to reach than a publisher...and I'm impatient!

I'm trying to be optimistic by saying all of my connections in the comedy business will help promote me vs. publishers who usually don't do much, but I can't help but feel like after selling to friends and family I'll hit a ceiling around 100 books and be done.

Yes, that is a possible outcome. But, as you said, you're impatient.

I think what separates the amount of sales for self-publishers isn't always the book, but the way one markets it. I've got a marketing plan and a comedy tour that will help.