HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post

Another suggestion - this is a site I have used successfully, and maybe it'll work for you.

http://www.allexperts.com/
    Wow! Thanks!!! This seems like it will be an excellent resource.

Robin Teeter
    www.nfl.com and www.playersperspective.com also have some info you may find invaluable and there are also some sports writers you can contact who've published articles in your local newspaper.

Amy Lou
    I'm going next time!!! I know that will be a couple of years but I don't want to miss out again. I try to miss very little, and honestly, I play his music in the car all the time, to the point I want to pull out my hair! LOL So I thought, I've had enough Weird Al, no need to see him. LOL Oh well! Next time!

If you really want to get in depth with it (and you have the time), I would google autobiographies of former QB's in the NFL. You will learn the "behind the scenes" aspect.

I did play QB for four years in high school. If I had to sum up the position of QB in one word it would be: chaos. If you are throwing the ball, you have about 5 seconds once you get to the line of scrimmage to figure out what type defense the enemy is running. Then, you have about 3 seconds to change the play if you need to, THEN once the center snaps the ball, you have about 2.4 seconds to scan the field and decide which receiver is the hot target.

You must be able to process information very quickly. Make sure your QB character is analytical. He doesn't have to be "book smart", but he does have to be a leader (at the NFL level), and he must have common sense.

OK, too much information

Henry: Very helpful! Thank you! And, yes, I do plan on reading at least one autobiography. I just have to decide which one(s).

And now, for the amusement of all, I'm going to throw in a major detail that I did not previously mention. Based on previous experience, I already know that this will make me a laughingstock, but that's ok. I have my own weird science-fictiony reasons for doing this, and they won't make sense until the entire story arc is in place. But, anyway, here goes:

My QB character is a female.

Now the immediate, universal response is "that's impossible" or at least "that's totally unrealistic" - and, yes, in real life it probably is. But that feeling of "No way Jose!" is exactly why I've picked this path for her. People need to seriously question whether she is actually human, and speculate on whether or not there is some spooky paranormal phenomena involved. She is physiologically a human female, but her mind is unlike anything anyone has ever known. Physically, she is very strong and is among the world's best female athletes, but she is, nevertheless, unquestionably human and has all of the usual human limitations. Mentally, however, she is a sort of "superhero". Her brain processes information at a rate that is at least twice as fast as any other human being. So, instead of 5 seconds to figure out the defense, you might say that, in a way, she has 10 or 15 seconds (so to speak - there is no actual time-warping going on - she's just so mentally quick that it's "as if"). Instead of 2.4 seconds to scan the field, she will (so to speak) have 5 or 10 seconds. If there is a hole, or an open receiver, or her front line is breaking down, or whatever, she will see it. She will, in other words, have insight into the "chaos" that goes beyond anything a normal human could manage. Also, her learning rate and powers of memory are amazing as well. QBs study the strengths and weaknesses of their own players, as well as the defense. She will understand the strengths and weaknesses on the field better than anyone.

Now, oddly enough, none of this is the central aspect of the novel. I will spend part of one chapter looking into this in some moderate detail, but for most of the novel, this amazing aspect of her life is in the background. A larger and more sustained aspect of her life will be music (hard core rock – and thus another foray into a male-dominated realm), but the ultimate real focus of the novel will be a scientific/philosophical/spiritual investigation into her own nature. She will not really know who or what she really is, and she will be on a quest to find out. Her ability to play QB will put her in the public spotlight in a way that makes people wonder if they are looking at tangible, publicly available evidence of the "paranormal" - but, of course, the skeptics can (and will) say that she is just a statistical anomaly - not really an "alien" or a "witch" or whatever the various tabloids claim she is.

So, the bottom line is that I need to know what kinds of physical challenges and abuses she will suffer as a QB in (and on her way to) the NFL, and I will need to find ways to make all of this somehow seem realistic (in a sci-if sort of way). So, now I guess the scope of this thread could radically expand. Or, perhaps I should make a new thread focused on the social/psychological/political aspects of female athletes. If anyone wants to recommend books that might help provide inspiration or insight into the lives of female athletes, I'm all ears (metaphorically, of course).

I have my own weird science-fictiony reasons for doing this,
    Sounds intriguing, Gaylen! Will you tell us more at some point?

Going off the subject just a wee bit (don't hit me, okay? This sort of thing is frowned upon), here's a paragraph from a Kajama newsletter that might interest you:

"Which brings me to your question about blood type. (Prepare to slide down the rabbit hole!) If you're not familiar with the ancient astronaut theory, I recommend you start your research there. Basically, some people believe that the Earth is a big gardening project begun long ago by visitors from space, and that aliens have been genetically engineering hybrids for many centuries. These folks believe that people who have Rh negative blood are crossbreeds between humans and aliens. These Rh negative folks are known to have a number of unusual traits, including pronounced psychic ability"

http://www.kajama.com/index.php?file...C-00C04FA0788A

Okay...now back to earthly footballs.

*_*

Robin Teeter
    http://rise.espn.go.com/football/eve...-Elite-11.aspx

http://www.farmerfootball.com/

I recently watched a televised story about a high school girl who was team captain and QB; when she was asked by a reporter what it was like from her viewpoint she responded, "I'm just like the rest of the guys on the team, only I don't wear a cup."

Maybe you could also read memoirs published by female athletes. I'm sure you'll discover the challenges female athletes encounter comparable to other celebrities.

http://books.google.com/books?id=DWm...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by Robin Teeter; 10-13-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Teeter View Post
    I recently watched a televised story about a high school girl who was team captain and QB; when she was asked by a reporter what it was like from her viewpoint she responded, "I'm just like the rest of the guys on the team, only I don't wear a cup."
    Do you happen to recall the name of the show? or the name of the QB? I have acquired a list of girls who have played HS football, and I have a book about the only woman to play college football (she was a kicker). There is also an old movie called "Quarterback Princess" starring Helen Hunt that is based on a true story. I have not yet seen the movie, but have tried to contact the real-life woman that the character is based on. (No response as of yet. Here, again, I am wondering if a good literary agent might be able to get me access to interview people who I might otherwise never be able to contact.)

Robin Teeter
    I don't remember which station it was broadcast on but here's a couple links you might find useful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/sp...agewanted=all; http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-southa...,2496681.story

Good luck scheduling an interview with a celeb via agents or PR reps.

Gaylen, love the idea.

Check out an old movie called "Necessary Roughness" with Kathy Ireland. She plays a kicker.

It will be tough pulling this off, but if you can, way to go!!!

In fiction, you can do anything you damn well please