HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is it like to be a football player? Suggestions for reading?

One of my characters is a professional football player. This is a relatively minor aspect of my novel (and mostly in the background), but it is in my nature to sweat over every detail, so I want to develop (as best as I can) a feel for what it is like to be a quarterback in the NFL, both on-field and off. (Actually, high school and college level insights would be good as well.) During the few hundred words that I devote to this, I want my readers to feel like they are really inside the mind of a quarterback.

So my question is: Do any of you happen to know of any good novels, articles, or biographies that might be good for me to read? (Since this is a minor aspect of my story, I don't want to spend tons of time reading 20 books. I just want to pick a few of the best sources.) Also, of course, any advice on writing this kind of character will be appreciated. If you have played (or know someone who has played) at the HS, college, or professional level, let's talk!

Gaylen, you need to start using Google to answer some of your questions. It is a very effective research tool. You just keep typing in variations on what you want to find, and eventually something helpful comes up. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Friday-Night-L...961281-4193424

http://sportales.com/football/the-mi...-for-the-game/
    Last edited by leslee; 10-11-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Robin Teeter
    I know plenty of people [guys and gals] who've played football at high school levels and two black men who played pro during the 90s.

If you really want to know what it's like to be a football player, I'd suggest you not only read biographies and other true stories written from their perspectives, but interviewing them in-person might benefit your curiosity as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...players&page=1

and two black men who played pro during the 90s.

Good thing you specified their race.

Gaylen, from what everyone says, there is a different mindset to being a quarterback than playing any other position, so if you're going to interview a football player (which is a good idea), make it a quarterback.
    Last edited by leslee; 10-11-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Hi leslee. I've done some googling. I was hoping this forum might offer something beyond what is easy to find in google - perhaps hear from a writer who already writes this sort of stuff, or perhaps a writer who happens to have been a football player and can look back on the experience from a writer's perspective. Generally speaking, I don't write any sports stuff at all, so I'm coming at this from the position of a total neophyte. If no one here happens to be interested or experienced in this, that's ok. I'm new here in WritersNet, and in a way I guess I'm just tossing out a few things in order to see who's out there. But thanks for the links. The one on the "mind of the QB" is especially apropos.

Yes, I thought that might be helpful to you.

Another suggestion - this is a site I have used successfully, and maybe it'll work for you.

http://www.allexperts.com/

On All Experts, there is a list of specific topics. You look around in your topic and pick an expert you'd like to contact. Read their information carefully - each one has a particular area in which they are more qualified - and send an email to the expert that best suits your need. Ask your question. They respond by email. It's free. I didn't even have to register. And I've really been happy with what I got.

For example, I needed an expert on Superman comics, and I got a guy who turned out to be a Superman encyclopedia. That guy knew everything. He kept me from making an error that any serious Superman fan would have noticed immediately.

Another time, I needed a sentence in Italian that I wasn't going to find in any book. I got it through All Experts.

All Experts has a football section, so perhaps you will find someone who can give you some info. If you don't see an expert in "being a quarterback," pick a guy who says he knows everything about football in general, and write to him. Say, "I'm interested in knowing . . ." whatever it is you specifically want to know. He'll either answer the question, refer you to someone else, suggest a book, or tell you he flat doesn't know how to answer your question. I've never had anyone not respond in some way. (Remember, they have lives, so it may take a few days to hear back.) Then, if the response isn't exactly what you need, contact the next expert. I corresponded with three Italian experts before I got exactly what I needed, but I got it. The Superman guy I got on the first shot.

Worth a try, right?

Good luck!
    Last edited by leslee; 10-11-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Amy Lou
    HEY, that's cool Leslee!! I've never heard of that site before. Who knew? Thanks for sharing! My kids went to see Weird Al this past weekend, they had a blast!
    Amylou

Amy Lou, did you see him, too? Or just your kids?

Amy Lou
    No, I let my husband take the kids LOL But now I wish I'd gone just to see how much my babies enjoyed it. You know? I was being selfish, thinking I would have a couple of hours to myself to write, but regret not going along. They LOVED it. They bought wierd al trading cards, so funny! He did a lot of the songs I remember as a kid, Eat it, Fat and Like a Surgeon. But my daughter loves White and Nerdy (the real song is Riddin' Dirty) LOL

He's so hysterical. And the nicest guy. It is great to go to his concert, because the kids are so much fun. It's exciting to see a big crowd of kids knowing every word to every song. I found it really uplifting.