HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JD, King is coming out with a sequal to The Shining next spring, called Dr. Sleep. The little boy is now an orderly in a Maine hospital.

I liked both versions of King's book.

I believe there is already movie rights to the King book coming out next month, 11/23/1963. It is about a man who can go back in time five years before Kennedy's assassination and tries to stop it. The result is bad for the future.

Wow... both of them sound good Henry. The Stand was probably my favorite by King. 'IT' was another good one. I have a friend who roomed with a girl at college at Kutztown. He paid her tuition after the girl's won the state championship at some high school in Maine. I'll keep a watch for those novels!

Yeah, with you on The Stand. If I were forced to rank my top 5 King novels:
    1. The Stand
    2. 'Salem's Lot
    3. IT
    4. Christine
    5. Pet Semetery

The reason King writes memorable characters is because of the simple reason that he empathizes with his characters better than almost anyone. If he wrote a love story, it would be good because I would be invested in his characters.

You hit that one right Henry. I think King's stories in the end really aren't about horror... they're about people. That's what makes for a good novel. He has stepped out of the horror genre a few times with things like Stand By Me and the Shawshank Redemption. I have Under the Dome here but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Accurate point. People think only of guts and gore when they hear the name Stephen King. That is unfortunate. Your two examples above are good examples. If Stand By Me were written by Harper Lee or William Faulkner, it would be a classic, taught in classrooms across the country.

How about Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption. A character that is so likeable that any author would have loved to have created him. I found myself pulling so hard for this guy to stick it to the warden I couldn't help it. Reminds me of "Rocky."

I have read Under the Dome; it is a very small version of The Stand. It isn't in my top 10 of King books, but there will be one character in their you will hate so much you will want to step into the book and kill him--you'll know who it is when you get to it.

Now, if you want to read a short story that is as funny as hell (at least to me) then read L.T.'s Theory of Pets. The narrator is a trip.

Yes, he is more than horror.

I heard that The Dome was really good, although I did read the beginning and wasn't as impressed as with some of King's other works. You make a great point Henry about Andy Dufresne... not to mention alot of other characters that are out there. I think King's success doesn't hinge on horror but moreover, the human condition. Alot of his work is overlooked because of the horror factor. In truth, every story told was probably told a thousand times before... it's just the way that its told that makes up the difference, or at least that's my opinion.

I'll have to check out that L.T.'s Theory of Pets.

Visiting Tralfamadore
    King's characters are easily to connect with and this is why I'm still a fan of most of his novels; the movies derived therefrom are excellent examples of collaborative artisans' depictions of what happens when wordsmiths and craftsmen implement extensive research into what will ultimately become classics.